Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dr masse View Post
    Hmm, not sure I get your question... do you mean what my favourites would be for certain type of conditions?
    Yes please

OK, these are my personal preferences for a choice of the boards listed above.

Small waves are for me with wave faces up to around chest high (1.5 metres). Medium are around head high to a bit over head (1.5 to 3 metres). Large is over 3 metre faces with a longer period.

Sails are the ones I had at the time.

Board Fav sail Fin choice Wave size Wind direction Comment
    RRD Twin 90 5.3 Simmer Icon Twin
    MFC VF 16.5
    S to M Onshore to side Really liked this board for light wind wave sailing. Performance improved with more powerful twin fins. My first wave board that was fun even in dead onshore. Almost only sailed it with 5.3 and 4.7 sails.
    Tabou DC 79 4.7 Gaastra Manic Twin
    MFC VF 15.5
    M to L Cross-on to side This board needed more power and better waves to perform. The original fins lacked drive and were to small IMHO. Change of fins improved things quite a bit, but I really never got it to go upwind any good. Fine with 5.3, perfect with 4.7, but also very nice with 4.2.
    Fanatic Quad 75 4.7 Simmer BT Quad
    Rear - Simmer BT 145
    Front: Black project 100
    M to L Cross-on to side I actually struggled a bit to get the quad fins to work on this board. My first outings it felt very stiff and not that easy to turn. After moving the mast base back a bit and changing to smaller fins and bringing them closer together, it got better. It felt surprisingly "traditional" since I used it alongside the Frugal 88. I did not get to use it enough, but it learned me how important it can be to be careful with fin choice and placement in a quad setup.
    Simmer Freegal 100 5.3 Simmer BT Twin, Makani Walu2 17 S to M Onshore to side Maybe the board that I've tried most fins and configurations with. It works really well as a twin, particularly in smaller waves and lighter winds. However, I still think that I need to re-visit it and try my new tri-fin setup in this board. With a light 5.7 sail (in my case a HSM FireLight 5.7), it has the ability to open up days for wave sailing in lighter winds than I previously thought possible.
    Simmer Frugal 88 4.7 Simmer BT Twin, Makani Walu2 16 M to L Cross-on to side Sailed this quite a bit both as twin and quad. I mainly used it as a twin in "easy" or fairly small waves and quad (Simmer fins 14r 11f) when things got more serious. A very fun board for wave riding and I think it helped me to develop my skills in a good direction. Excellent sail range, 5.3 to 4.2 is ideal, but have used it with 3.7 several times where the compact shape gives high control.
    Simmer Hoogal 84 4.7 Simmer BT Twin, Makani Walu2 16 M to L Cross-on to side A custom variation of the Frugal with a different outline and a bit more tail area. Almost like two different boards in twin and quad mode, it changes the character of the board quite a lot. Loads of control in quad (Simmer fins again), sails more freely and off the fins in twin. I like it as a twin. Also a board that I would love to get working with a tri-fin set, will for sure try it this season. Despite being 84 litres, it is very good even with a 3.7. I think that it particularly shines in cross-on conditions.
    Flikka 95 custom proto 5.0 Simmer Tricera Tri, Flikka 17r, 110 assy fronts S to L Onshore to side The first board where I got my first good experience from a tri-fin setup. Actually, I like it so much that I am yet to try it as a quad... must admit that I am very hooked on the tri-fin feeling in this board. Still, need to learn the board better, but feels as if it is able to cover a very big range of wave sizes and wind directions. Surprisingly good with a 4.2 in fairly hectic conditions.
    Flikka 83 core quad 4.7 Simmer BT Tri, Flikka 16r, 110 assy fronts M to L Cross-on to side Again, tri-fin just works and yet to try as a quad. But this board I will for sure give a go with quad fins in more wind or bigger waves.
    Last edited by dr masse; 15th June 2017 at 11:00 AM.
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden

Wow, that is good information! Thanks a lot!

I own a Flikka Trifin with 90l and I'm struggling a bit in 4.7 conditions (side-on with small waves). Which type of fins are you using on your Flikkas? Flikka rear fin and K4 Ezzy front fins? Which Flikka rear fin? A stiff one or a soft one?
    Last edited by ursblank; 16th February 2017 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ursblank View Post
    Wow, that is good information! Thanks a lot!

I own a Flikka Trifin with 90l and I'm struggling a bit in 4.7 conditions (side-on with small waves). Which type of fins are you using on your Flikkas? Flikka rear fin and K4 Ezzy front fins? Which Flikka rear fin? A stiff one or a soft one?
    I have the "Single/Middle (09)" fin as center, 17 cm as my rear fin with 11 cm Assymetric (505) as front fins in my 95 litre board. In my 83, I am using the same rear fin but 16 instead with the same 11 Assymetric fronts. I have also used the 10.5 Wave Allround - hard (06) as front fins. Even if the Wave Allround are fine up front, I (at least I think I do...) prefer the Assymetric front fins and will get me a couple of more of those.

What is it that you are struggling with more exactly?
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Thanks!
    In 4.7 conditions (well power-up, small waves) I have difficulties to turn the board in the bottom with my 74kg. I've got the same (09) middle fin in 18cm and 10.5cm hard (06) side fins. I'm sure it's not only the fins, but also my bad technique...

Well, technique is also an eternal issue for me as well...

What are the difficulties - getting it to turn, not balanced, things go to fast, lack of control?

It should work, but sometimes it is a good idea to mix things up a bit with your equipment to 'force' a change of technique or make it easier to find how to do. For instance, if the challenge is to get it to turn better in small waves, one idea could be to try it as a twin fin just to see what happens.

Short update on my Flikka Allwave. I've got asymmetric 10.5cm side fins (505) now. In combination with the 18cm centre fin (09), the back strap in front(!) position and with my 5.3m Banzai it is a dream For me it sounds a bit weird, but with the back strap in the most rear position the board was not easier to bottom turn.