Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

El Medano - week of 18th

I'm following the forecast for El Medano for several days now and it is changing a lot from day to day. Is that usual or is due to some unreliable south wind? it came from 3-4 days forecasted NE windy days down to a vacuum for next week.

in short: can I hope for some miracle in the next week or rent a bike rather than bringing the kit

thnx
    loyo

I have been here over a month and the forecasts change a lot: always wind next week but it never arrives. The high-low is more complex this year which I guess leads to unpredictability

Yes, I'm afraid that it's not been good for wind here since September (which was an unusually good month, and I feel that we are somehow paying for that). Over the last few years February and March have been some of the best months with reliable, strong NEly wind, but as Maker says the big picture pressure systems have not worked been working in our favour - for whatever reason? perhaps a meteorological expert has an explanation?

Anyway, the thing is just to make the best of what we do get and have some alternatives if it doesn't blow. So, loyo, the way the forecast looks this (Thursday) morning, the best day looks like being Saturday the 18th itself, so if you are arriving in time then get on the water asap and sail till dark! I can't tell you whether to bring kit - it's up to you, but one advantage of renting is that you can get hold of big kit (7m sails and >100l freeride boards for instance) and that should get you more TOW.

Re renting a bike - yes that's definitely a great no wind alternative - both road and mt-biking here are great ... I've been doing more biking (offroad only) than windsurfing for the past few months. I've got an full suss e-Mtb as well as a 'normal' (
    full suss) bike and that means I can do a lot of different rides - big variety, some long ones with the e-Mtb (it can climb up to 1000 metres vertical and take on the ridiculously steep tracks that we have here).
    Last edited by Silicon Beach; 16th February 2017 at 11:28 AM.
    -----------------------------
    ps check out our wooftastic books: Nobody's Poodle and just published: Somebody's Doodle
    and our musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    Yes, I'm afraid that it's not been good for wind here since September (which was an unusually good month, and I feel that we are somehow paying for that).
    The last time I went to the Canaries was September a couple of years ago & I was completely skunked. I'm going again next week (Sotavento), so don't expect the wind to pick up anytime soon.
    Loose - the opposite of tight. Lose - the one that's pronounced 'looze'.

I was planning to come to El Med for a couple of weeks starting from this week as like to spend my birthday on the water but after looking at the forecast have cancelled next week off and this week will be spent at home, worked out fine though as a friend phoned me yesterday to arrange a holiday next month as his missus has blown him out for a trip with the daughter and will now have enough holiday left to join him, he's a nutter so if no wind wherever we end up will still have a giggle!
    Windsurfing days in 2013: 42
    New toys for 2013: 120L Fanatic Gecko 2013

It's not all gloom and doom ... I'm expecting to windsurf the next three days, then bike rides for Monday - Wednesday ... then there's some more NE wind on the forecast, so vamos a ver.
    -----------------------------
    ps check out our wooftastic books: Nobody's Poodle and just published: Somebody's Doodle
    and our musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef

so lets see today it shows a bit better again, but for me might be too late to get in on Saturday :/ landing at 5pm
    @SB, is there some good/recommended launch spot with parking?