Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lowered boom, keep unhooking

I sometimes find if I lower the boom (to get more control) I then keep unhooking when on a reach.
    I don't think my lines are excessively long (I think they're 30's).

Does anyone use vario lines or is a case of really trying to get even lower? Problem is it was on my FSW board rather than freeride so I tend to stand a little bit taller (setup is 3 straps rather than 4).

I have a similar problem with the fixed length lines on my largest boom, I use it with 8.5m on large 80cm board down to 6m on a 90l FSW. I use longer lines with the 8.5m with the ends closer together and just widen the lines with the 6m sail to shorten the length.

Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_poole View Post
    I have a similar problem with the fixed length lines on my largest boom, I use it with 8.5m on large 80cm board down to 6m on a 90l FSW. I use longer lines with the 8.5m with the ends closer together and just widen the lines with the 6m sail to shorten the length.
    I actually didn't think of just widening them, seems obvious now!

Just stretch your arms out more? (That's what I do)

Some people also use adjustable lines to cope with this problem.

And another answer is to check your harness spreader bar and perhaps swap it for a kiting one – as they have more 'bend' on the hook and so lines drop out less readily. (I have recently done that)
    Now back in the UK.

I use adjustable lines on my biggest boom..........28 to 34 ....used with 7.8 and 7.3 but only on a 85cm board. Even so I adjust the line length for different wind strengths and also for upwind sailing v beam reach. My mid sized boom is used with 7.3, 6.6, 6.2, 5.8 and I use 30cm lines. I usually use exactly the same boom height on all sail sizes only lowering it if I am overpowered...........in which case I break more at the waist to keep tension in the lines. On my smallest boom used with 4.7/5/5.5 I use 28 lines. I keep the lines 2 fists apart regardless.
    So my answer is to use different length lines for different board widths/sail sizes, and alter stance to adjust to boom height if necessary.

Try to move your mast foot forward a bit. Helped

Quote Originally Posted by yolen View Post
    Try to move your mast foot forward a bit. Helped

Surely that just drops the boom lower?
    Now back in the UK.