Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35
    Today was classic el Medano. 4.7m nicely powered ... relaxing after two days of 3.7m. First session: waves were very small and it was crowded with kiters, plus the racers were going hell for leather around their course ... so I cut it short and had a break. Second session I hit the sweet spot for the waves and most people had stopped for lunch. Amazing how the waves work beautifully for about 30 minutes max and then it gets too messy. I had one that was probably logo high :-)

Maybe the wind patterns are changing bit by bit. It becomes more chancy coming for a week or two, but the people who've been here for a few months have been getting s good range of conditions.
    Last edited by Silicon Beach; 23rd March 2018 at 04:15 PM.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

SB I did wonder if it was changing or if it was just part of the bout of extreme weather that the uk has also suffered. Glad we missed all that whilst out there.

When the UK had the big Ely snow storm we had lots of rain and SWly winds for about two weeks - first rain in two years! Now we're into a good period of NEly's :-)
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!

I am leaving after 3 months here, and if history is a predictor: I weigh 85kg and sailed 43 out of 88 days. Used 85l board 22 times and 95l 28, 4.2m (13), 4.7m (12), 5.3m (15), 6.1m (13). About half of the 4.2m days would have been better on 3.7m and mabe half of the 6.1m days better on 6.5/7m and a freeride board. There were also maybe 8 days when it was either too windy, not windy enough for my gear or I was ill for a few days. Longest drought was 10 days. Happy with that..
    Boards: F2 Gorilla 76, Tabou Quadster 86, Fanatic Triwave 95, Starboard Kombatwave 96, F2 Stoke 115, JPFreeRace 125, Sails: Gaastra Poison 4.2, North Hero 4.2, North Ice 4.7, Simmer Icon 5.3, Gaastra Cross 6, Ezzy Elite 6.1, Tushingham Storm 6.5, Severne Turbo 7.5

Hope you had a good flight home, Mr Maker, and that your gear was treated well by the airline. Interesting statistics ... the even spread of sail usage is something I also find and like about windsurfing here. For instance this is how your last four days were for me (also 84 kg): Saturday - underpowered / float-&-ride on 5.3m / 94l Supermini ... Sunday - well powered on 3.7m / 85l SM ... Monday - initially nicely powered as per Sunday, then had to stop because I was overpowered on my 3.7m in mental 45 knot wind ... a day later, Tuesday - nicely powered on 6m / 94l SM with clean shoulder high waves to ride (could have used 5.3m and been underpowered again, but caught more waves by being well powered ... 6m sail is not ideal for riding, but still possible and means your commitment and technique are well tested).

See you here next year :-)

ps I forgot to add that anyone who follows Maker on Facebook will have seen some fairly hardcore trekking in the mountains. When it wasn't windy he was doing some serious walking.
    Last edited by Silicon Beach; 11th April 2018 at 01:59 PM.