Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

More relevant anniversary worth discussing, the RYA and us.

So this year will mark and go unreported, the 40th anniversary of the RYA gathering together the members of the fledgling UKBSA in a room at a regatta on Farmoor reservoir near Oxford and asking us if we'd like them to become our Governing Body. They had already discussed with the then IWS (International Windsurfing Schools) 'assisting them' with a teaching and instructor training programme and the vote was the final acceptance by the relatively few of us that were engaged in any form of 'organised' windsurfing activity.

Promises of better access to water were made (Windsurfing was then forbidden on all the London Reservoirs and some other lakes where RYA sailing clubs held sway) and co operation between the commercial sector and the RYA was also agreed behind the scenes.

RYA backed Insurance schemes were offered to windsurfers if they joined the RYA and Clubs and classes could be formed to be affiliated to the RYA and it all looked as the future would become Rosy.

So the question is did it and could it have been different with another body, if we're not happy could the sport still break away and join another organisation (Like the BSA) and how could that be managed?

For the average weekend warrior I would suggest the RYA is not really a relevant issue as we (well me!) don't really interact with them, would have thought the drive would have to come from the trade and racing crowd, not sure on the people who actually compete views on the RYA but would be surprised if there would be much push from windsurfing centres that teach their system.

But then I am not in the trade so may well be totally wrong........

p.s. your tag to Skype you is really annoying as it overlaps onto your musings
    Currently retired to do more windsurfing before the body says NO!

Quote Originally Posted by hayesite View Post

p.s. your tag to Skype you is really annoying as it overlaps onto your musings
    Skype tag? I rarely use Skype, google hangouts these days if ever, so where is this goodly skype thing I'll kill it.

Lol, it's now disappeared, was under your picture!
    Currently retired to do more windsurfing before the body says NO!

Quote Originally Posted by hayesite View Post
    Lol, it's now disappeared, was under your picture!
    Yep found and killed it..

So back to the RYA, there is no formal arrangement for discussion between the trade and the RYA these days, hasn't been for many years, that's not to say some 'dodgy deals' don't go on at times between certain trade elements and individual RYA personnel.

Back in the day, there were two committees the Trade supply side and the Retailers who were linked to a committee at the RYA and discussions and suggestions were put forward for the supposed well being of the sport in general which worked as well as could be expected from the eighties until I guess around the mid to late nineties.

Nowadays the RYA is pretty much only concerned about windsurfing as the recipient of two Olympic medals for their haul which is also a device for funding from Sport England. They did for a while run a very successful youth campaign called team fifteen which attracted thousands of kids into racing, but recently they let the Lady responsible go and it's gone right off the boil since. So there doesn't appear to be much going on at grass roots level, but then that accusation can also be made towards them from other branches of water sport they administer.

Most of us that supported them over the years, did so warts and all, on a better the devil you know than some form of Whitehall department running and then taxing and licensing the use of water, but that shouldn't mean they get left to carry on without question and purely on a no taxation without representation basis, there is an argument to call them to book for the lack of interest in anything other than Olympic windsurfing, I feel.

The RYA made their contempt for windsurfers clear with the Project Windsurf fiasco. The fact they just ignored any subsequent communications regarding it proves it wasn't just carelessness or an oversight. They've still got the page up with the lies about being in discussion with active groups & publishing links. There were no such discussions & over 18 months later they still haven't published any links.

Handing the reigns over to another organisation (UKWA?) may not improve things, but it certainly can't make them any worse.

http://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/new...ndsurf-uk.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post
    Nowadays the RYA is pretty much only concerned about windsurfing as the recipient of two Olympic medals for their haul which is also a device for funding from Sport England. They did for a while run a very successful youth campaign called team fifteen which attracted thousands of kids into racing, but recently they let the Lady responsible go and it's gone right off the boil since. So there doesn't appear to be much going on at grass roots level, but then that accusation can also be made towards them from other branches of water sport they administer.

Most of us that supported them over the years, did so warts and all, on a better the devil you know than some form of Whitehall department running and then taxing and licensing the use of water, but that shouldn't mean they get left to carry on without question and purely on a no taxation without representation basis, there is an argument to call them to book for the lack of interest in anything other than Olympic windsurfing, I feel.
    Pretty much my view also.

I'm not sure that windsurfers' typical character leave us best suited to "herding ourselves". There's excellent work done by some (Nigel, Geoff & others at the BWA spring to mind for me there). However when it comes to a wider membership / lobbying organisation, to my mind it makes more sense to continue to opt in to the RYA than to try and break away, despite the RYA's faults. Perhaps we need a bit of Corbynista styley entryism to seize more power. Time to dust off your blazer Grumph? ;-)
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.