Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I’m am not aware of a single thing the RYA has done for windsurfing. There is a RYA sailing school a few miles from my house but they don’t allow recreational sailing on the reservoir. So they teach kids to sail but then don’t allow them to go out and sail! I’m sure they do some stuff somewhere but it’s never reached me, but then I am a solitary northern sailor that exists like a snow leopard, lucky to encounter the feint whiff of piss from my own kind.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFish View Post
    Time to dust off your blazer Grumph? ;-)
    Hmm, don't think so, the world has changed so much, PC everywhere given my recent forays into it, 'they' never quite 'get' what I'm trying to explain to them, it is such a dumbed down world and I'm just cursed with too much intelligence and wit to deal with young morons that abound in organisations like the RYA.

And you're right about us being herded we don't, not at all well.
    Last edited by Graemef; 14th March 2017 at 02:32 PM.

The RYA has never been visible to me in all my time involved in Windsurfing although I did get a RYA certificate ( level 4) many moons ago at Vass...not that it made any difference to anything.
    The one time I tested the RYA's commitment to Windsurfing was when a very popular windsurfing venue that also happens to be my home spot ( Hamworthy Park...Poole Harbour) was being threatened by the construction by Poole Harbour Commissioners, of a huge Marine Centre/Marina complex just off the beach which would have made launching in all the usual prevailing winds impossible. I made repeated attempts to get the RYA to help our campaign fight against the proposed development. That development would also have impacted adversely on several sailing clubs and private marinas in the harbour. The RYA did precisely nothing. I got the distinct impression I was tring to deal with Blue Blazered, pink gin, yachties ( the high powered motor type...nothing as gauche as a sailing craft). No way I would give that crew a penny. I am member of the UKWA.....and get the same insurance deal through that membership as is offered by the RYA ( probably the only reason any windsurfer is a member).

Yes...dump the RYA.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    Blue Blazered, pink gin, yachties
    Yep, it does feel a bit like that sometimes, not that there's anything wrong with a pink gin mind.

I was wondering just how peripheral we are in terms of RYA membership, so had a Google. It seems that there are actually quite a lot of us: 8k+ RYA members listing windsurfing as their primary interest, comparing to 9k+ dinghy racers and 7k+ yacht racers. Whilst that is dwarfed by their 37k yacht cruisers, it looks like we're a membership segment worth having (especially as we win Olympic medals). Odd then that we seem to get so little attention.

http://www.rya.org.uk/about-us/rya-p...egic-plan.aspx
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Anyone know how the RYA garner the views of windsurfers and potential ones?
    How do kitesurfers manage their interests?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFish View Post

I'm not sure that windsurfers' typical character leave us best suited to "herding ourselves". There's excellent work done by some (Nigel, Geoff & others at the BWA spring to mind for me there). However when it comes to a wider membership / lobbying organisation, to my mind it makes more sense to continue to opt in to the RYA than to try and break away, despite the RYA's faults.
    Lawd bless me guvnor if it don't all sound a bit like something that has happened elsewhere recently.

I notice that "World Sailing" tried to grab the pussy of kitesurfing recently, only to receive a sharp kick in the trumps.

Quote Originally Posted by /\/ico View Post
    I notice that "World Sailing" tried to grab the pussy of kitesurfing recently, only to receive a sharp kick in the trumps.
    Quite right that they belong elsewhere. We are after all a form of sailing. Kites are not.

It's a bit like rights of way. It's generally accepted that for such purposes, windsurfers are considered to be sailing vessels. Whereas I'm pretty sure that in the eyes of maritime law, kites are designated as ladies' lingerie.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.