Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFish View Post
    Quite right that they belong elsewhere. We are after all a form of sailing. Kites are not.

It's a bit like rights of way. It's generally accepted that for such purposes, windsurfers are considered to be sailing vessels. Whereas I'm pretty sure that in the eyes of maritime law, kites are designated as ladies' lingerie.
    The captain of this ship clearly a big woman making use of one cup of her bra.

Damn....8k windsurfing members! That's nearly 0.5m in subs......got to be worth it for ANO organisation to make a bid for. Maybe a new organisation could also get a relevant type of windsurfing into the Olympics.

So Pop Quiz, name the head of windsurfing at the RYA, you know, the guy/gal you go to with your problems, suggestions, questions..

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post
    So Pop Quiz, name the head of windsurfing at the RYA, you know, the guy/gal you go to with your problems, suggestions, questions..
    The same question occurred to me when you started this thread, and after a good old browse round the RYA site I still couldn't find the answer. In fact I couldn't find anything that indicated how the different members interests are represented, racing and cruising aside.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

I've joined the provisional RYA twice. Once to get insurance I needed for a club which would otherwise have cost me more than membership, and another time to get a discount on a Neilson holiday - again worth far more than the joining fee. My membership has long since lapsed but I still get regular emails about Ollie and Lucy who are doing so well in the run up to the next Olympics and who are also being paid far more than I am, just to sail dinghies. I suspect most people join for similarly practical purposes. In the early days the RYA were pretty instrumental in getting access to lakes for racing. Now that we are all a wavesailor on that sea (and there's only twenty three of us left - all self-employed white van men) it's a lot less relavent/lucrative. Also nobody enforces any rules anymore so we can all go and windsurf in Grumpfs swimming pool and nobody is going to care.

I'm a member mainly in anticipation of my ability to sail somewhere becoming threatened by some official body (council?), where it would be helpful to have another official(ish) body (RYA) to engage in officialese / committee speak with them. Whether the RYA is now willing / capable there is another question. Mikerb's comments above suggests perhaps not, and the demise of T15 and Project Windsurf don't suggest we're much cared for.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoFish View Post
    I'm a member mainly in anticipation of my ability to sail somewhere becoming threatened by some official body (council?), where it would be helpful to have another official(ish) body (RYA) to engage in officialese / committee speak with them. Whether the RYA is now willing / capable there is another question. Mikerb's comments above suggests perhaps not, and the demise of T15 and Project Windsurf don't suggest we're much cared for.
    if you are a member purely for those reasons then you are wasting your money as we found out when the beach access was closed because of the Gormley statues and the issues we had at Crosby lake over blue green algae with the mis-management of the lake by sefton council

if you are actually lucky to get hold of anyone at the RYA the chances of any answer at all are slim and the standard response is "we don't do that " not just to us as windsurfers but to the local dinghy sailing community and club as well

cheers Max