Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Onshore jumping

Onshore jumping

Hi,

My home spot has dead onshore wind with about 50cm waves. They make great ramps for jumping but bearing off to jump is a problem (for me at least). Most of the jumps are beam-reach or even close hauled, which is not ideal.

How to deal with this? Should I just accept that I'll get stopped mid-air when jumping or is there hope for decent jumps?

I never jump. I only coach others. The problem is I don't quite understand the question. The more onshore the more you have to head up (not bear off) for take off. With decently sized and shaped waves people (even I) sometimes jump on the incoming tack in wavespots. Knowing that it's either that or going to the bunker is a great motivator. The pros sometimes even loops. I guess it's much about speed. You also have the new school shlakataflaka stuff where people land back on the waveface. But that's pretty advanced stuff where you'll have to backwind to get some float.
    The infamous wavewriter

If I understand problem it is same one I face on home spot. Chop and waves are wind driven so heading up the face is straight into the wind. So how do you jump? Do you build up up speed off the wind then head up some more at last second then off after take off?

Windwaves aren't long straight lines.
    They have a beginning and an end. Sometimes the end is faster, sometimes the beginning.
    The breaking part is often faster. So the edge of the breaking part provides a ramp you can take relativily broad (beam reach). It's also the steepest part.
    So the waves bents or curls a bit and you have to find the right spot that's at an angle of the wind.

Also the wind isn't blowing straight ahead. The gusts fan out (?) at the edges and make the wind shift a little. Sometimes the bad way, sometimes the good way.

If you can read(intu´tion) wind and waves this way you can be surpriced by the broad angle of jumping possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Flasheart View Post
    Hi,

My home spot has dead onshore wind with about 50cm waves. They make great ramps for jumping but bearing off to jump is a problem (for me at least). Most of the jumps are beam-reach or even close hauled, which is not ideal.

How to deal with this? Should I just accept that I'll get stopped mid-air when jumping or is there hope for decent jumps?

I don't think you've described this well enough for us to visualise your conditions here.
    Is the wind dead onshore to the beach – or is it square on to the waves?

Normally in onshore conditions you would hope for a good spread between the ramps and you can then usually blast along at speed in the 'flats' and then carve upwind into a suitably peaky ramp. Once in the air, your bear away again but keeping the windward rail lifted so as to maintain height for longer airtime.
    You then land in the next flat, and carry on until you can hit the next ramp.

In onshore conditions, heading out normally involves a zigzag path where you sail board to get good board speed but then then point higher to get through gaps in sets or to jump over them.
    So generally we don't bear away to jump – we bear away to get better speed and to head for a ramp.
    Now back in the UK.

Basher is right here speed is key, you also need to be well powered so that as you head up the ramp you can maintain good speed, then bear off in the air by tucking up your back foot & keeping windward rail up... Also as Quexalcoatl mentioned there are always sections which bend & wrap towards you more or less & these peaks make the best ramps..
    Last edited by Gorgesailor; 15th March 2017 at 06:00 PM.

Maker has it.

Clarification: the wind drives the waves directly to the beach. No angles whatsoever.

I have always read that you're supposed to jump on a broad reach which makes sense since jumping into the wind brings you to a halt.

So what you're saying is to build up speed and go for it even if it is slightly close hauled. No big mystery about it, no special moves required?
    Do you sheet in or sheet out?