Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Onshore jumping

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Flasheart View Post
    Maker has it.

Clarification: the wind drives the waves directly to the beach. No angles whatsoever.

I have always read that you're supposed to jump on a broad reach which makes sense since jumping into the wind brings you to a halt.

So what you're saying is to build up speed and go for it even if it is slightly close hauled. No big mystery about it, no special moves required?
    Do you sheet in or sheet out?
    Yes, basically like a chop hop, where you bear off to gain speed & pinch up into the ramp then you load up the board & rig by sheeting in & pushing into the trough. As you near the lip you unweight the board & rig. Once nearing the apex you pull the board up under you & off the wind - see sequence.(sorry about the watermark) This was taken on 4.2 with 75liter Quad in knee high chop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chop hop.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	15055

It's taken me time to learn jumping on boards and bikes. I used to absorb the bump rather bump back. If you see what I mean. One thing to remember on a windsurfer is that a sheeted sail generates mastfoot pressure. You don't want that on take off. But as with so many things it's the timing that needs to be correct. And getting the timing right takes time. In the beginning one will typically try to take off to early and waste much of the energy that can be generated through combining speed with a ramp. So called preloading is essential. I guess you should go lower in the knees on the approach before extending or springing back against the uphill. An extra kick with the back foot can help. You'll have to sheet in again very soon after first sheeting out to help the board soar. And you'll want to head off the wind a bit for a smooth landing. Look where you want to land and push the nose of the board in the desired direction with the front foot. Just before landing it can be smart to again sheet out a bit and put down the tail of the board a split second before the nose. So the sheeting sequence goes out - in - out.

I write this not because I'm a great jumper but because I believe that different explanation from different people may contribute to an understanding or feeling of what's going on.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 21st March 2017 at 10:35 PM.
    The infamous wavewriter

Thanks!

I find jumping into the wind much more natural as the wind coming under the nose and windward rail gives you lift and a floaty jump. If your heading off the wind and hit a ramp the sail is full of power but the board is a dead weight. As described by basher I tend to sail in parallel with the waves picking the flattest line and picking my way upwind through the lumps as required. When jumping I look for a wave upwind and carve late and reasonably hard up into it so that you get a good angle on the ramp with good speed and then just let the board float up into the wind. I happily trade speed for floaty jumps. As confidence grows you can look to control the flight path, bearing away through the jump and accelerate away on landing.

I'm a bit worried about the advice to sheet out when you jump.

I don't think I sheet out when I jump. If you are jumping into the wind then the sail 'feathers' as you turn into wind anyway.

I think if you sheet out when leaving a ramp you are effectively putting on the brakes.

Have I got this wrong? What do others think?
    Now back in the UK.

I would not say sheet out necessarily but rather trim the sail for lift whereas in initiating the jump you may have been oversheeted to load up the board & rig...

A very informative thread.

I am just trying to get into jumping and this thread has discussed a lot of the issues needed for me to advance.

Lots of knowledge out for sharing.

And a nice tone ....

Keep it up.....