Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    That one handed top turn is generally a bit naff, isn't it?
    I certainly wouldn't do one.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    My first wave today ... was potentially the best of the day ... but I fecked up the top turn ... and I got hammered by the lip .... and as I lay in the water getting rinsed I thought a bit about this thread ... I was wondering what I did wrong ... was it my technique? ... my timing? ... or perhaps it was the wave's fault? ... Anyway ... it's a mystery ... and that's why we love this sport so much.
    A life long mystery probably.

The thing about Pozo is that you get to see very skilled sailors go front side on a very onshore wave very close up. Again and again. If you enjoy being in the dark you don't reflect much on what you see. If like me you want to understand and improve there are things to be learned. Going too late is a probable cause for getting hammered. Not going sufficiently vertical and therefore getting hit from the side is another. I'm not really trying to teach better sailors how to ride a wave. I just don't understand the reluctance to try and put into words what's going on. I've had my eurekas in this sport. They should have come much earlier. But better late than never. People shouldn't trust that your friends will risk a relationship by telling you you're hangbacker or farouter. They probably wont. But a forum like this should allow for something interesting discussions for those interested.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 30th March 2017 at 09:53 PM.
    The infamous wavewriter

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    That one handed top turn is generally a bit naff, isn't it?
    I certainly wouldn't do one.
    I had an involuntary one hander as the sail was ripped out of my grip. As with many similar situations if you just keep carving (don't forget the dorsiflex) the sail will soon present itself nicely back in your hand.

I do by the way mostly move my back hand. The times I don't is when I can't find a lip to help turn the board swiftly and therefore overpower.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 30th March 2017 at 10:13 PM.
    The infamous wavewriter

Colin's video TWS tips with Brawzinho covered bottom and top turns, with some good footage – bearing in mind the moves are shown in very onshore conditions, so the sail is 'open' very early in the bottom turn.

But you can see how you can direct the rig load to the back foot via the back hand, and to the front foot via the front hand..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rBptvpzNFY
    Now back in the UK.

Although I can't say he's lifting his feet from the ankles in a very visibly way (except maybe around 2:30) he's definitly not extending. "Dig the rail" is actually one of the comments around 4:33 (but there's too much spray to see how much he's working his ankles). And that's really the point of my post. By concentrating on finding grip in the top turn you can keep the board more under your body rather than have it slide out on straight legs and be forced to pull yourself up under the boom with both hands to save it. If you need to pull yourself up with the back hand you won't be able to open the sail for the top turn exit.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 30th March 2017 at 11:18 PM.
    The infamous wavewriter

Quote Originally Posted by boards_Tomas View Post
    I'm not really trying to teach better sailors how to ride a wave. I just don't understand the reluctance to try and put into words what's going on. I've had my eurekas in this sport. They should have come much earlier. But better late than never. People shouldn't trust that your friends will risk a relationship by telling you you're hangbacker or farouter. They probably wont. But a forum like this should allow for something interesting discussions for those interested.
    Yes, absolutely. No problemo with that. Long may The Infamous WaveWriter continue his obsession. It's not that I am "reluctant" to put all this into words on paper, just that, in the words of Ludwig Wittgenstein: "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." And here's another one that I like: "What cannot be imagined cannot even be talked about" ... and another: "The limits of my language mean the limits of my world". None of these quotes imply that we shouldn't be talking about things ... just that it is doubtful whether we can actually say something that we don't already know.

Anyway, enough of my bullsh1t ... carry on ... hopefully I should have another chance in an hour or so to reflect on top turn technique as I'm being worked in the impact zone
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Well, one thing that I have noticed when my top turns seemed to improve a bit after some 20 years of trying... is that these days I am more able to do a one-handed top turn than before. Also, if I lose (or let go of) my back hand during a top turn, I recover much more frequently than before. I think that this, hopefully, has to do with me entering the top turn with better speed, a more open sail and using the board better.
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden