Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

vanless transport

hi

have been windsurfing a long time but this is the first time i have ever had to think about this - if i go away windsurfing, i chuck most of my stuff in the back of the car and maybe a board on the roof, for the first time though i am going to take my windsurfing kit away along with the family so chucking it all in the back is not an option

what do others do? do you put all your stuff in a quiver bag on the roof on top of the board - does this cause damage to the board at all, is there anything i should watch for? if you are taking 2 board and a quiver bag, do you put it all in one pile or side by side (seems tricky with the wider boards, even on a reasonably large(ish) car?

Does anyone else who manages without a van have any tips they could share?

Ta

This weekend taking sup, 120l, 102l 88l and a surfboard, sails, paddles and wetsuits, wife, 3 kids and a dog.. -with the exception of anything breathing they all go on the roof on a 3 high by 2 wide - i have 2 board bags - the bag for the 120 holds the kids sails masts and booms, th 88l is a session bag and holds my sails boom and masts.
    4 straps 2 on each side. I am driving a volvo XC90 and i generally clock 80mph average down to Cornwall - and never had a problem and still get about 27mpg.
    Key points: Check that my roofrack is tight, my car has side roof rails and the rack clamps onto it which is quite solid
    2. boards on with fins pointing up and at the back - i know people sometimes revers this so the nose acts like a spoiler but aerodynamically i think my way works best.
    3. make sure the masts dont slide after tightening up - sometimes you can put them in once you have tightened the straps to add extra tension.
    4. if you twist the straps (rather than having them flat) they dont vibrate and as such are quieter on the journey.
    5. if people are waving at you on the motorway - they generally mean something has come loose - they are not just being friendly
    6. where the buckes go over the edge of a board - re-tension to mean the metal does not dig into the rails. - you can add wetsuit / cloth to protect the rails where the boards and straps meet.
    7. Tennis balls under the footstraps - this will stop them getting crushed and you will be able to get your feet into them when you sail.
    8. Depending on your car - put your luggage in the boot first - once your kit is on the roof the boot might not lift all the way up - certain to smack your head when trying to load!

good luck
    Currently on Simmer Blacktips, Simmer Frugal 77, Fanatic Stubby 88, JP xcite ride 120 and AHD Summerboard windsup.

What mpg do get minus the shed load of kit?