Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Boards and bikes and kids?

Any tips on how to get 4 bikes, 2 kids, 2 boards and a husband all in or on a car? We currently have the boards and sails in a quiverack on the roof but the kids are big enough now to cycle so would be good to take them along to do whilst we take it in turns to have time on the water. But perplexed as to how to get all the kit to the beach!
    Any ideas would be great!

Get a towbar fitted and a towball-mounted bike carrier. My cars have all been about 250 quid for the towbar and a couple hundred for a large carrier.

Sell the car and get used to life with a T5 or 6, kombi, I'm still trucking the kids around, putting the seats back in it over Easter and they are now thirty year old boomerangs.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post
    Sell the car and get used to life with a T5 or 6, kombi,
    My thought also. Any reason why you have discounted the idea of a van? I don't have kids to transport, so my van is strictly for my own toys. However three of my brothers and their wives have gone the van route for transporting their broods and toys to the beach / hills / MotoX track and all seem more than happy with the arrangements.

Failing that, you'll just have to listen to your inner Egyptian.

Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

If you cant be bothered with a towball mounted bike rack (despite them being excellent, I recommend Buzz Rack Buffalo from roofbox.co.uk) then you can get strapped ones that take 3 bikes. Then put the 4th bike upright on a roof bar mounted one. With luck you should still be able to fit the quiverack next to it. Roofbox.co.uk have a guide that takes you through this.

Downside is that if you strap it on wrong then you end up with lots of sparks following you down the motorway, and you might be overloading your roofbars max weight capacity depending on how heavy the bike is (put the lightest up there).

Quote Originally Posted by Tony E View Post
    Get a towbar fitted and a towball-mounted bike carrier. My cars have all been about 250 quid for the towbar and a couple hundred for a large carrier.
    Thanks. I don't suppose you have a photo of your car fully loaded? Trying to persuade husband it is possible is proving hard!

Haven't got room for 2 vehicles and generally use the car for everyday life -shops, taxi-ing kids around and short trips. So aren't yet ready for the leap to a van, but that day may come... Just need a bigger house with more parking space first!