Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VW van alternatives

I have been thinking about updating my t5, but the cost ("seen tax") of the VW is really putting me off. Is there any concencus of the best alternative?

Peugeot Expert/ Citroen Dispatch/ Toyota
    Ford Transit Custom
    Renault/ Vauxhall Vivaro
    Mercenary Vito

I really like the look of the PSA/Toyota. Prices arnt bad and Peugeot diesels are usually pretty reliable. They look pretty good as well.

I have driven the previous Renault/Vivaro are abit rougher than the t5 and I heard of a few clutches going

Merc Vito look great, but does the new one still rust?

The Ford Custom I'm just not sure of, and I haven't driven one.

Anyone got the new Vito or Peugeot?

I had a test drive of the new PSA/Toyota thing. Drove nicely for the size and decent fuel economy. I would have gone for it as I rebel against the VW orthodoxy for no good reason. Its a bit like Apple versus Android, Empire versus Rebel Alliance. You know whats best, but dont do it anyway. But then wife vetoed the van idea and we got another MPV.............

Ford would be my choice - i really like the new shape.

Agree that the new transit is the a great shape although historically the transit doesn't have a great rep.

Bought a 2014 Vito which I keep in Spain and have a T5 for here. Both similar economy wise, the Vito feels more sturdy, drives really smooth on the motorways but I still prefer the T5. Easier to manoevre and feels more nimble. It maybe that I'm still more used to driving it though.

Hyundi iload is worth a look, gets good write ups in Australia. Would have bought one myself but the waiting list at the time was three months and I found an ex demo T5 with just 12 miles on the clock and much cheaper than new.
    Whatever the tide, whatever the ride.

Maybe we all have to start thinking about buying vans that are not German or French...or Spanish!

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    Maybe we all have to start thinking about buying vans that are not German or French...or Spanish!
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.