First board for big guy. Please help :)

Hallo from Greece, I read the posts here a lot and decided to ask on your advice and opinions regarding my first board.

I am 34, almost 110 kilos and started windsurfing last summer. Loved it.

After 40 hours in the water, Beach start is ok, tacking is almost good. Harness very good. I am normally sailing in 12-20 knots, in sea conditions.

Last week i was in Dahab, mainly using 160 liters but also a 146 Fanatic Gecko, width 80plus.

Since I cant get the 146 anywhere in the surf clubs of my area, I am thinking to buy the Gecko 146, found it 2nd hand in a decent price.

1) Is the volume good for me? I weigh 110 kilos and my steps are heavy, like a baby-elephant. Should I buy this board or go for a 1.60?

2) Also found a JP with 146 liters but 7 centimeters less wide than the Gecko? Which one do you guys recommend? The wider or the narrower? Both boards are around 250 in length.

3) Any suggestions on the fin?

4) i am thinking not to buy a sail yet, since I find them in every school and I could rent them. Yes or no?

Appreciating your time, please help

Fotis

If you were OK on the 146 then you do not need a 160. Wider = more stable so I would go for the Gecko rather than the narrower JP.
    Fin size will vary with sail size but I would think something like a 46cm would be good. For smaller sails you might want to go down to 40cm.
    Renting sails makes sense in the short term, but in the long run you will save lots of money by having your own rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by AJE View Post
    If you were OK on the 146 then you do not need a 160. Wider = more stable so I would go for the Gecko rather than the narrower JP.
    Fin size will vary with sail size but I would think something like a 46cm would be good. For smaller sails you might want to go down to 40cm.
    Renting sails makes sense in the short term, but in the long run you will save lots of money by having your own rigs.
    I agree. Stay with the Gecko, it will be your friend for a long time. When you get better, play around with fin sizes before you think about buying a smaller board. My best friend board is a 155 futura from 2009. I sail smaller boards but it's always there when I need it.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by richarli View Post
    I agree. Stay with the Gecko, it will be your friend for a long time. When you get better, play around with fin sizes before you think about buying a smaller board. My best friend board is a 155 futura from 2009. I sail smaller boards but it's always there when I need it.
    Same advice here

Out of interest where in Greece? I lived near Kavala for a while and there were many locals windsurfing around there. Very friendly people.