Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks Basher for all the info really helpful. I have started the search. That's the interesting bit when you have never been, before.

Basher could you give your opinion on what conditions to expect between end november and end of december in cape town please? Is it worth going there during that period or you would give priority to other options? Thanks

The southeaster wind starts from October, and so November and December can be good.

But the locals say that the wind tends to be strongest and more consistent for January and February.

The wind tends to go in a 5 day cycle and if the cycle is weak then you get a longer windless period, or simply have to travel further to find stronger wind.

The last season was very windy and so we didn't have to travel at all – unless to look for bigger waves. But this next season might not be so windy.

November and December are still a good time to go, and you get less people on the waves.
    Now back in the UK.

Just a quick heads up to say that Thomas Cook have a sale on for their Cape Town flights and you can get a January/February flight for as low as 550 at the moment. That's a saving of over fifty quid on the cheapest normal price.

The sale lasts until August 22nd.

As said earlier in this thread, these Thomas Cook flights are direct from Gatwick to Cape Town and there are daytime and overnight flight options. Those of us who travelled with them last season had no complaints about legroom or service.

Luggage allowance is not great but they will carry a 30kgs board bag for a flat rate sporting goods fee – and two bags can be booked on if necessary.
    Last edited by basher; 16th August 2017 at 02:43 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

What do you guys think about British Airways and Virgins luggage policies when it comes to windsurfing equipment? Looks like the cheapest alternative at the moment for a trip from the end of December to mid January.

BA won't carry windsurf kit, due to their automated baggage system.
    They also have very high excess baggage charges.

As for Virgin, they no longer fly to Cape Town - unless that has changed again?

I last flew with them two years ago, and that was via Johannesburg. I only did that because I had air miles to use up.

Virgin did carry my board bag on that route, but not all connecting flights from Jo'burg take surf gear. (Although Mango did, whilst charging me a second fee).
    Now back in the UK.

Ok good to know! Thomas Cook looks like a good option then. The only problem for me is the need to go from Stockholm to London first, with extra charge for the equipment on that connecting flight as well...