Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44
    The Goya / Quatro dealer in Cape Town used to rent out gear once upon a time. Anyone know if they still do as that is my preferred gear.

Is there a Goya/Quatro dealer in Cape Town?

Not heard of one.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Is there a Goya/Quatro dealer in Cape Town?

Not heard of one.
    There is according to the Quatro website:

http://quatrowindsurfing.com/contact/#addresses

Scroll down towards the bottom. David Hansford. I’ve seen him sailing on the south peninsula. He’s one of the hard core Outer Kom sailors. Seen him shred it up on days I’m happy to stay on the beach.

Most visitors would be lucky to sail Outer Kom. It's very much a 'locals only' break, and one heavily policed by local surfers.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Most visitors would be lucky to sail Outer Kom. It's very much a 'locals only' break, and one heavily policed by local surfers.
    I suspect it’s known as a locals only break because the skills level required to sail it is so high. I surfed it a few times when I lived in Cape Town and was in peak surfing condition, and even on a surfboard it’s no walk in the park. The wave is heavy, breaks in the kelp unless it’s huge, and regularly swings wide on the sets. For sailing add to that no wind on the inside, no easy launch and nowhere to come in downwind if you get into trouble. So anyone less skilled than John Skye shouldn’t bother.

I'm told that the locals are quite heavy about any visitors there.

We were discussing the chances of windsurfing there this recent season and we were told we'd have to 'arrange permission' beforehand.

There's also some strict rule about never posting photos on social media. Localism, huh?

The other place there have been problems are up at Elands Bay, mostly brought on by some well known ****er Italian who ploughed through all the surfers in their section of the break.. The same guy who tried to diss me on social media.
    Now back in the UK.

I thought localism was something unique to surfing as I’ve only experienced it when riding a surfboard? Whenever I’ve travelled for windsurfing I’ve found the local windsurfers friendly and gracious in sharing their local knowledge. I have encountered complete dickheads on the water who try to steal every wave, but of the encounters that I remember, that sailor was also a visitor like me.
    Last edited by socalsailor; 3rd May 2018 at 01:06 PM.