Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hayesite View Post
    A trick I was told years ago by Colin Dixon was to 'lick the ice cream off your shoulder', what this translates to is really exaggerating your head movement and body position, I spent the rest of that day doing it and nothing else just because it really got me going upwind better than I had ever done before so loved the feeling.
    Very good suggestion, forget everything else, just do that.

Quote Originally Posted by hayesite View Post
    A trick I was told years ago by Colin Dixon was to 'lick the ice cream off your shoulder'
    Best not to do it when there are seagulls about though.

Good and practical advice, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richarli View Post
    Basher I understand where you're coming from but it's also the pronounced "V" on some boards. My freewave definitely needs to be rocked over onto the leeward side to fly upwind because of the "V".

That's an interesting idea. Are you saying the board has Vee throughout and therefore likes to be 'heeled over'?

Most boards with Vee are still fairly flat in the mid sections, with the Vee solely at the tail to help cushion chop and sometimes to make turning easier.

On topic, I'd be surprised if it went upwind better when heeled over than if held flat and driven off the fin.

(My older Kode freewave 86 has a lot of Vee but still goes upwind best on the fin, and sailed level. Not all boards are the same in how they perform best, of course.)
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    That's an interesting idea. Are you saying the board has Vee throughout and therefore likes to be 'heeled over'?

Most boards with Vee are still fairly flat in the mid sections, with the Vee solely at the tail to help cushion chop and sometimes to make turning easier.

On topic, I'd be surprised if it went upwind better when heeled over – than if held flat and driven off the fin.

(My older Kode freewave 86 has a lot of Vee but still goes upwind best on the fin, and sailed level. Not all boards are the same in how they perform best, of course.)
    No. If your driving the board hard then the "V" in the tail is all that's in the water.

Indeed it is, and it's parting the water, a bit like a snow plough.

The Vee means there's an angle on both sides at the tail, so there's no reason to suppose sailing the board at an angle to level one side will be any faster than sailing the board level rail to rail.

Of course when we sail slowly or are under-powerd then the tail crabs sideways as it moves forwards. So who can really say in advance what hull shape works best for upwind and sailed at what trim, at different speeds?

In practice every board is slightly different.

It's just my Kode has a lot of Vee and, when planing, it sails upwind best when level. I think that's because the fin is most efficient in terms of lift if it is set upright.

When not planing, I'm probably burying the windward rail for upwind work.
    Last edited by basher; 13th June 2017 at 08:04 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

...just to mention that when you are hiked out and leaning forward your view of the board can be misleading in terms of whether it is indeed sailing flat or with the leeward rail more engaged. Chances are when you think it is flat it will in fact be angled to windward.............especially winder boards and especially when the footstraps are out on the rail. Worth checking.