Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    That's odd advice in most sailing craft, but if you are overpowered with board control issues than I guess that's understandable.

Normally however, the more sail power you have the broader you can go so we go less broad to keep up speed in the lulls and bear off in the gusts to go deeper downwind.
    Theoretically speaking yes you are right but if you are already going very broad and already very powered up on the edge, a big gust can cause you to open the sail pulling you over the board(disaster), before you have the chance to pick up lots of speed to compensate for the pull in the sail. Plus you risk the board railing up from the fin. A smaller fin would help but , that option is not available to us slalom racers because quite often after a very broad reach, the next reach is tight so we don't use the tiny fins/boards that speedsailors use. That's why the heavier sailors dominate the slalom scene. I am quite light but the tips I gave is useful for people just getting into the slalom broad reach arena because it would apply to them.

Those are just some very useful tips from my own racing experience but in the real world, there are so many factors and combination of sea states that there is no one size fits all.

Oh yes Rich, another tip is to not use too big a fin! That's another can of worms I suppose...

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyber View Post
    Theoretically speaking yes you are right but if you are already going very broad and already very powered up on the edge, a big gust can cause you to open the sail pulling you over the board(disaster), before you have the chance to pick up lots of speed to compensate for the pull in the sail. Plus you risk the board railing up from the fin. A smaller fin would help but , that option is not available to us slalom racers because quite often after a very broad reach, the next reach is tight so we don't use the tiny fins/boards that speedsailors use. That's why the heavier sailors dominate the slalom scene. I am quite light but the tips I gave is useful for people just getting into the slalom broad reach arena because it would apply to them.

Those are just some very useful tips from my own racing experience but in the real world, there are so many factors and combination of sea states that there is no one size fits all.

Oh yes Rich, another tip is to not use too big a fin! That's another can of worms I suppose...
    Another of Gyber's posts recovered from Spam.