Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GPS system

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    Can anyone recommend a GPS emergency device to wear / attach somewhere - Is there something that has a a single button to press in the case of an emergency - sends a distress signal / an e-mail / text alert etc ?
    Search for personal EPIRB or emergency locator.
    Mc Murdo has something called fast find or similar.

Mountaneering has has the same principle system.

Its the same global Emergency Position indicating Radio Beacon EPIRB or PLBs for personal locating beacon.

Its the same system used in that story you read about so you know it works!
    cheers

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    Can anyone recommend a GPS emergency device to wear / attach somewhere - Is there something that has a a single button to press in the case of an emergency - sends a distress signal / an e-mail / text alert etc ?

https://www.simy-beacons.com/PBCPPlayer.asp?ID=1857917

THanks Nave. I'll look into it. Yes, indeed, EPIRB certainly worked for you!
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

I wouldn't normally read a thread with this sort of title because I assume it's about speed sailing, and I stumbled in here by chance.

But as this is now about safety and with good tips and links, it ideally should have another thread with a helpful title, perhaps including 'GPS safety device'.

Just saying – as good advice may be lost in here.

Or perhaps a moderator could add the word 'safety' to the thread title?
    Now back in the UK.

Something of a personal perspective there I think! Lots of people use GPS devices that are not speed sailors. A standard ( non beacon type) GPS provides a record of the days session with lots of information other than just speed........that said speed is one good indicator of performance even if you are not aiming to beat Mssrs Dunkerbeck etc. What else can it tell you? How far and for how long you have sailed, a track to tell you where you sailed superimposed on Google Earth, and the angles you used upwind and downwind, gybing performance ( speed in/speed out). As far as using the speed recording is concerned it can help in tuning a board.....fin selection, mast foot and straps position, sail tuning etc. You can also get altitude details if for example you are into jumping ( warning...results could be deflationary!). So it can be a useful and interesting aid for the majority of windsurfers...maybe not wave sailors..but then there are not many of them are there!!

I think wearing GPS does us all good as sailors in any discipline...not all time but it has amazed me how subjective we are at deciding even a simple thing like board speed.
    We all say this board is fast or planes early or planes through lulls well with little hard evidence.
    Examining tracks afterwards can shed light on angles we sail to wind ( I suspect many folk have a bias favouring one tack, on it they will sail harder or higher without realising. It stands out on tracks...)
    And if you are interested in going fast ( which sailors aren,t) I suspect GPS is essential. Again it amazed me just how far off wind Vmax is obtained...and having done so GPS can help us to work out how to maintain that extra board speed generated back to 90degrees..( ie across wind)
    Why GPS speeds are not part of board tests is actually quite ridiculous. Imagine if top gear could only tell us " this car feels fast". Yes , there are all sorts of parameters to consider but why cant Vmax of various boards be given with the riders and wind strength on day. I suspect testers, builders , magazines like to keep us in dark..
    Last edited by Alphie; 14th October 2017 at 09:45 AM.

I agree.........but it also tells you that there is a lot more to going fast than the design of the board. Very few of us sail the sort of angles required to achieve vmax ( 120 to 140 degrees depending on wind strength) or rig our sail with huge amounts of twist to enable broad angles to the wind, or a fin small enough to let the board turn deep offwind...........both of which would give very little performance in lighter winds or indeed upwind. So average speed is a better indicator of overall performance which involves an upwind beat for every run off the wind...........or just beam reach blasting in both directions.
    For example, one thing I measured recently,( not by design but because it happened that way), is which is faster.............having the sail set so it feels really powerful and is ragging you a bit, or using more downhaul/outhaul so that the sail is comfortable and does not feel overpowered. The former certainly feels faster. The latter is in fact faster......at least on my kit.