Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    My wife and i had been stuck in a windsurfing rut for 15 years. We enjoyed sailing, but werent progressing and werent getting out enough to change it. 2 weeks in Vass sorted that, with excellent instruction on tap and inspiring people aroud. Just things like optimising footstraps, how to begin a gybe properly rather than lazily, ideal rigging, trying different boards, quality rigs, and a mighty kick of instructor and peer pressure to try new things - plus lots of video feedback. It amazed me that i thought i knew it all, and it turns out i really didnt. And then being able to practice it in consistentish conditions. I find in the UK whilst i get out maybe 2 or 3 times a month all year around, the conditions vary so radically (from survival sailing to big underpowered blasting) that progression is otherwise slow.

We now go every year and i find that every year i learn something new (or learn how to do something properly that i thought i knew how to do) and then consolidate it over the year in the UK. Im now duck gybing, full planing gybing almost whenever i want, chop hopping, popping, beginner foiling, some sort of loop is the latest project.... but my tacks are atill a joke though as i can never be bothered putting in the time to master what looks like a mundane maneouver. And my wave sailing will forever suffer as a result......

There is no doubt that sailing everyday in warm water with virtually the same kit each day and in the same conditions.....supplemented with some coaching, is the fasttrack way to progress but there are other things that can help. Sailing with a mate of similar skill level and both of you setting a goal for a specific session can add a lot because of the review and mutual feedback that results.............perhaps also the challenge. Using video is another. Your own impression of what your various body movements are can be very different to the reality! Being able to review a video of your session can show you exactly where you can do something different...or indeed where you are doing well. There are hundreds of coaching videos on You Tube you can also use.

I'd echo the fortnight in the company of good sailors, twice in my time, my windsurfing performance underwent a quantum leap and both times it was a combination of challenging conditions and the company of excellent sailors trying new techniques. Unfortunately you have to travel, in my time it was Hawaii and the second time Klitmoeller and they were competition grade sailors, but good instructors like the post up there about Vass are equally as good these days I would guess.

In my case ... I've been windsurfing 32 years. Started the same day with my wife and we still go windsurfing together - so my tip no 1: is to get your partner / kids / family interested ... rather than dreading your skiving off every time the wind blows.

Then tip no2 is: as you've guessed, get as much TOW as possible. In our case we eventually moved to Shoreham beach. That helped. Before that we did a lot of traveling - often on windsurfing clinics with gurus like Harty, Guy Cribb. That helped even more. Then we moved here, ten years, ago. Needless to say that was the most help of all. I won't post on this thread my number of sessions per year, it will only p1ss people off ... but I will say: I'm not a natural at sport, so I need a lot of TOW just to be reasonably competent.

So that's a lot of minutes, hours, days, years of windsurfing ... which is where my tip no3 comes in: do you ever get bored of it all? Others ask me this, not very often do I ask myself it though. I don't actually work on "new moves", or do freestlye, or light wind practise ... but I do keep trying to push myself and improve. And my most recent way to motivate myself has been to buy two new boards - completely different shapes to any that I've sailed before. Now I can't wait to get out there - even if the conditions are average. Retail therapy rocks!
    Last edited by Silicon Beach; 17th August 2017 at 10:27 AM.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

It may also help to let people around you know that you won't defriend them for telling you that you gybe with straight legs and bent arms. But if it's your photo in the avatar you've already got those two sorted.

Apart from sailing more and in better places I recommend training slowstyle with small rigs rather than bother getting planing in chop and marginal winds. I was out on a 104/5.0 just now and discovered that to depower efficiently front to sail when doing a threesixty, it helps to straighten the mast arm (as well as pull on the boom arm.) Next time I will also focus on turning my head more on exits. I had about seven knots of wind and found a flat spot the size of a living room behind two flat rocks. Had I grabbed a bigger sail or stayed in the chop I would only have learned that WS can be highly irritating. And that I already know.
    The infamous wavewriter