Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I am not sure I have ever seen a kiter look behind before doing one of their dangles or turning so I always assume they will not look and could turn or take to the air at any moment. If we are on the same course I shout so they know I am there, if I am overtaking ( most are pretty slow) I try to avoid the area between the kiter and his/her kite and go upwind of the kiter. If I meet a kiter coming on the opposite tack, again I try to engineer it so that I do not pass under the lines but if that is not possible I aim for the kiter so as to be as close as possible and force him/her to raise the kite. To be honest most kiters I meet are as keen to avoid conflict as I am ...albeit that does not extend to them looking a round before they turn or jump! The worst kiters are the beginners, because that kite can come down unexpectedly and with force, and show offs, because they wait until they have an audience and then do something stupid!! Both are fairly easy to identify. The best kiters ( in terms of understanding how to co-exist with windsurfers) are those that windsurf and kite. Knowing the zones/areas where most gybe at any venue seems to me to be pretty basic stuff whether you are a kiter or a windsurfer.

I carry sea-to-air missiles on my boom but rarely use them.
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

Kiters are difficult to spot. You can look and still miss one! If i was kiting i would be aware of this but they dont seem bothered!

Incidently i was sailing into the beach at rhossy last week carving up the small waves, jumped off in about waist high water I then spotted a snorkler swiming about 10 yards away! Head down in the water oblivious! another turn and i could have run her over! Madness!

At some point, in a thread like this, someone should say that kites and windsurfers don't mix due to different sailing angles. And because of that, the coast access should be segregated for each sport and to protect swimmers..

We organised exactly that in Brighton and Hove, over ten years ago, as part of the local council initiative to designate various beaches for various uses, with view to helping all of us play safely.

Unfortunately, places like Worthing are now sh1t for windsurfing because of kiters, and because of the lack of council intervention. Nearby Lancing, under the same council, has some zoning.

Zoning is the way to go.
    This is not about rival sports – or about us not getting on – it's about acknowledging traffic realities.
    Last edited by basher; 23rd August 2017 at 10:11 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Let's go back to the 80s when it was only windsurfing in the sea and small kids with kites on the beach I say!!

Last edited by Jo Blogg; 24th August 2017 at 10:34 AM.
    Love the 80s windsurfing - Vinta, F2, Tiga, Bic, Tushingham, Mouse Loft & Webb Custom

Quote Originally Posted by BottomTurnBob View Post
    Kiters are difficult to spot. You can look and still miss one! If i was kiting i would be aware of this but they dont seem bothered!

Incidently i was sailing into the beach at rhossy last week carving up the small waves, jumped off in about waist high water I then spotted a snorkler swiming about 10 yards away! Head down in the water oblivious! another turn and i could have run her over! Madness!
    Seen same at Rhossy and El Medano with parents sending kids to play in same area as sailors launch from. How thick can you get? just send kids 20 yards down the beach. Wouldn't be surprised if they send kids too play on motorway,
    s
    Boards: F2 Gorilla 76, Tabou Quadster 86, Fanatic Triwave 95, Starboard Kombatwave 96, F2 Stoke 115, JPFreeRace 125, Sails: Gaastra Poison 4.2, North Hero 4.2, North Ice 4.7, Simmer Icon 5.3, Gaastra Cross 6, Ezzy Elite 6.1, Tushingham Storm 6.5, Severne Turbo 7.5

Someone pointed out tp me that windsurfers are older and often have a sailing background so understand etiquete of sailing, whereas kites tend not to have that background. I had kiting lessons and not once was it mentioned how to interact with others on the water.
    Boards: F2 Gorilla 76, Tabou Quadster 86, Fanatic Triwave 95, Starboard Kombatwave 96, F2 Stoke 115, JPFreeRace 125, Sails: Gaastra Poison 4.2, North Hero 4.2, North Ice 4.7, Simmer Icon 5.3, Gaastra Cross 6, Ezzy Elite 6.1, Tushingham Storm 6.5, Severne Turbo 7.5