Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Been hit by kites a few times, but never with any malice. I find the lines annoying, but think we've more in common with them than not. Sail at rocky cliffy beaches it's good for keeping them away.

Good Kiter story ... I came out of a gybe to find myself holding a rig with no board beneath my feet. The board was happily sailing into the distance with a long black phallic mast extension sticking up - the downhaul rope had snapped and somehow the extension came out of the mast (quite a rare one, probably?). Anyway a kiter rescued the board and towed it back upwind to me.

Another Good Kiter story ... Broke a mast on the reef in Cabarete (1km swim back) and a kiter towed me back holding the handle on the back of his harness - only managed to get halfway to the beach before my arms gave way - unbelievable power coming from those things!

Bad Kiter story ... had a very minor dispute with a German tourist kiter. I apologised (if it was my fault, which was debatable, and he hadn't even dropped the kite) but he was a nutter and punched me in the face, resulting in a cut above my eye, some blood, and needing to go back to the beach to get patched up. He went on to cause further agro in the town throughout his week's holiday.

Kiter Gets Their Come-uppance / Karma story ... There's a notoriously gung-ho young kiter here who does all the stuff we hate - big jumps close to the beach / right over kids in the water etc He uses those boot things - you know, where they literally bolt their feet to the board like snow boarding bindings? anyway, he got his comeuppance recently - broke his leg doing a jump ... and he's off the water now
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

I have no direct bad experiences other than a big sense of worry whenever one is near me, that damages my karma. Conversely I have often been the only windsurfer on the water, in winter, and enjoyed good chats and comraderie with the kiters. Worst i have seen is horrifically idiotic launching and landing on beaches (poole) covered with little kids digging sandcastles.

I met a very proficient, fairly extreme, ex kiter recently, who had taken up windsurfing. When asked why he had stopped he described kiting as being attached to something that has a mind of its own, that generally wants to kill you or others around you, from the moment you launch it to the moment you get it down on the beach. He considered himself lucky to be in one piece after a longish career of hard kiting, including some of the early days.

Quote Originally Posted by smidge View Post
    I have no direct bad experiences other than a big sense of worry whenever one is near me, that damages my karma. Conversely I have often been the only windsurfer on the water, in winter, and enjoyed good chats and comraderie with the kiters. Worst i have seen is horrifically idiotic launching and landing on beaches (poole) covered with little kids digging sandcastles.

I met a very proficient, fairly extreme, ex kiter recently, who had taken up windsurfing. When asked why he had stopped he described kiting as being attached to something that has a mind of its own, that generally wants to kill you or others around you, from the moment you launch it to the moment you get it down on the beach. He considered himself lucky to be in one piece after a longish career of hard kiting, including some of the early days.
    Good post smidge. I wish the kite instructors would warn their pupils about the dangers. Too many here are giving the sport a bad name
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

I've had the top of the mast caught with lines a few times but nothing malicious.

Rescued a couple of kiters, when things have gone wrong.

I think the most annoying was at Portland, a kite in the middle of the harbour, no one near, so grabbed it and started to let the air our so I could get it back to shore. Boat comes out with a kiter, who is then pissed off that I have let the air our. feck him!

2018 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 03, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 12, B&J/Wave 09, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03

Worst encounter I have had with a kilter was with some bloke called Grumpf. Never met anyone so thoroughly odd....

like Duncan, I have rescued a few. Also encountered a few beginners struggling on the beach.in a dangerous way. I find if you are polite and helpful they appreciate it, especially when they are getting dragged along the shingle on their faces as I saw at Jury's. I managed to grab a line which caused his kite to spin at the ground hard puncturing the bladder but he was so relieved and shaken that didn't bother him.

There like prone surfers: you have really nice guys and complete twats between them.
    2 friends of me do kite and i,m happy to share waves with them I guess that are my best encouters.
    As a general rule of thumb i learned that the guys who seem to know what they are doing and have some common sense are using a surfboard while the morons are attached to a tray with fins.
    I saved a couple but never been saved and hope to keep it that way.

My worst encounter was at Sidi-K-Morocco in 2002 where on my 2th day of the holiday an french tray-tw#t that jumped from 50m upwind and landed with his board and fins on my shoulder: Destroyed wetsuit, bruised shoulder and a flesh wound that needed 15 stitches keeping me the rest of the 2 weeks out of the water and a damaged sail.
    His explanation: I tried to jump over you but miscalculated..... The arse paid for everything but that doesnt make up a holiday.
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak