Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Very new to Windsurfing - advice

I have finally joined the forum..

Well I has a go maybe 20 years ago and now interested in learning properly

I have a Fanatic Viper Air which I bought mainly as a Paddleboard, but came with an iRIG. Anyway, I've had a play around with the pair and really keen to learn.

Slight issue is that I'm feed up of blowing up the board, and the iRIG has some limitations (amazingly light, but not very efficient)

My thoughts are to pickup a cheap-ish secondhand combo so that I can use a proper rig as well as maybe a hardboard board (and maybe mix and match). I'm no light weight at around 100kgs

I've found a second-hand BIC Techno 293 205L (approx 10 years old) with a few sails (5-7m). I know not the best for a beginner, but a reasonable buy to get started? Thinking that the proper sails would be useful on the very stable Viper Air, and once I'm a little more stable I would switch to using the Techno?
    (and buy what I want later if needed, when I know what I want)
    Last edited by springtide; 8th September 2017 at 02:25 PM.

The specs of the BIC Techno are

Length 293
    Width 79
    Volume 205L
    Daggerboard Yes

Looks to me like specs of a very decent beginner board.

You can even go straight to the Techno 293 and a smallish sail around 5m and its perfectly adeguate for starting off.

Thanks Andy, my only concern was that it's pretty old kit and have read things have changed a lot, but had read to look for something 200L and around 80cm wide.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by springtide View Post
    Thanks Andy, my only concern was that it's pretty old kit and have read things have changed a lot, but had read to look for something 200L and around 80cm wide.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.
    nothing wrong with what you have. The comments around things changing doesn't really apply to learner gear. What you need is a big board and you have that and ideally a small light sail/ rig to learn the ropes. You might find the irig too small and light and there is a gap between that and your big sails. You could do with something around 4-5m as a first real sail but that might require a new mast. What mast have you got i.e. What length?

Beginner boards didn't have the development that smaller boards had.
    So that argument is valid for smaller boards that need to plane. Basically anything under 160L.

Beginner boards have always been bretty much the same. Big and floaty.
    If you look at the current ones on the marker (Fanatic Viper, Starboard Rio....) their specs have been the same for years.

Personally I would go traight to the BIC 293 with a normal sail.
    In case more important is choose your spot and conditions wisely.

At the beginning you need gentle wind. Dont do out in anything over 15 knts.
    Must be onshore wind.
    Flat water. If shallow even better.

Springtide,

Welcome to the forum I'm fairly new and 90kg learning on an Tabou Guru which is 257cm long 76 wide and 155 litres. No daggerboard but a centre fin (I prefer without). I have 3 sails 5m, 5.9m and 6.4m

The board is a little tippy in the coastal chop but stable on flat water and provides (for me) just that right balance between being challenging and too easy. The 5m and the 5.9m sails are my go to sails and I have been out in in 25mph winds without too much hassle for my skill set (the chop is harder to contend with). I prefer winds around the 10-15 mph mark for learning though

Something like the Bic or similar will be fine for you but I would have though that the Viper teamed up with a proper mast and sail around the 5M -6M mark would also be very good.

We have a couple of people zipping around on Windsups locally and they rave about them.