Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    '16: 16
    '17: 9

I'd recommend using both boards, trying the smaller one and then going back to the bigger one, that way you can ease your way into using smaller boards. Nothing wrong with using a large board, particularly to get the basics. Going too small too early can definitely inhibit progress I think. I have a beginners board that I bought for my wife, we take it on holiday and I still use it now in lights winds to have some fun on. I also use it as a paddle board and was catching some small waves with it in cornwall in August, and it actually worked pretty well.

The Fanatic Viper is supposed to be a good board to learn on, so it sounds like you've got a good setup. Hopefully you've got a good wetsuit too, as that can increase your comfort a lot. Lot's of shorter sessions are probably better than fewer long ones.
    '16: 16
    '17: 9

I learned on a Viper 190, great board. Keep it to when you are starting to plane. At that point it might be getting a bit big and you can try and see how you get on your Rocket 150 (another great board by the way, tried the 145)
    When I was learning to plane on the Viper I found the footstraps were too way back and therefore could not get in them.
    Switched down to a 161 Carve and found that much easier as its a smaller board.

You have 2 great boards to learn and progress on.