Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmg253 View Post
    There's a good view of what we should be doing in this video at 00:41.
    https://vimeo.com/234196742

Jules Denel goes from backside upwind to frontside downwind, he seems to lean rather than weight one or other foot.

Wish I could do that!

I like this video a lot, not least because it was filmed on the other side of the English Channel on the same day we had good wave conditions here in Hove (on the opposite tack).
    There was a 3-4m swell that day and strong wind.

You can also see different bottom turns if you stick with it. The early ones , at 00.40 secs, are only momentarily sheeted in, whereas at 02.37 the bottom turn is fully sheeted in until much later.

Each wave is being surfed differently because it's a different shape or size and so you cannot follow some set of fixed ideas about back foot turning or rig movements at a certain point of the turn.

So you have to 'surf the wave' first – and the speed and line you achieve along the wave face then determine the rig movements.

When learning, there is a chicken-or-egg element to the skill, and, for sure, you have to learn to surf a wave and to keep speed on the face as you read it, and then you have to learn the appropriate rig movements to match that surfing line and speed.
    And that is why learning to wave ride well is a cumulative experience – and one that can't really be broken down into where to put one foot etc.
    Last edited by basher; 21st September 2017 at 06:29 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

I think Basher, that you're blessed with slightly better conditions than myself and many others. And also that step gybing has made accustomed to sail clew first without really noticing how much the mast is tilted to the rear. Here is the result of a Google search for "clew first". You can argue the pictures don't show waveriding. I bet you will!
    https://www.google.no/search?q=clew+...w=1024&bih=672

And here's a relevant article. https://www.windsurf.co.uk/peter-har...-onshore-ruts/
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 21st September 2017 at 06:41 PM.
    The infamous wavewriter

I can explain clew first stuff really well I think.

When you sail clew first the rig has to be repositioned so that some sailfoot and the boom end are presented to the wind, to reverse the wind flow over the sail – so that it runs from leech to luff.
    To sail in a straight line like that, the centre of effort of the sail still has to be over the centre of lateral resistance. You can practice that on flat water.

If you are wave sailing however, we tend to steer by carving the planing board on the wave face, and the rig movements are often more about loading the feet with rig load than they are about shifting the centre of effort about an imaginary centre of lateral resistance.
    In particular, when the board is banked over, with a rail dug deep, the centre of lateral resistance is no longer at the tail or a simple function of where the fin is. It's further forwards. So we don't necessarily move the rig back to carve into wind.
    Watch out you don't get stuck in beginner's ideas about rig steering.

When going into the critical part of the bottom turn you carve the board to go more vertical up the wave – and that's 80% about where you position your weight, as a surfer.
    Where you might sweep the rig back – taking the mast back towards the tail – is more often at the beginning of the carve, and that's really a slalom/power gybe type technique where you are using exaggerated back hand pressure to really load the back foot to push the tail downwind in order to tighten the turn.

As SB said earlier, we can talk about this until we are blue in the face, and really it's stuff you have to learn on the water, not off the printed page.
    Last edited by basher; 21st September 2017 at 11:52 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Closely hauled clew first rigs are tilted well back and to the outside. The fact that it may only happend for a split second just before the top turn doesn't make it less necessary. If you don't think you've ever done it, it's either because you don't know what you're actually doing or because you can't smack a slow onshore wave frontside. Don't get fooled by pictures of pros holding the sail onely half opened and way out in front. They still have to turn around another 90 degrees or so and the sail needs to go further out and back. You'll see it clearly if you watch the onshore videos frame by frame.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 23rd September 2017 at 09:21 PM.
    The infamous wavewriter