Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Downhaul tool

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Don't most people use the spreader bar on their harness as a rig puller?
    Quite often yes for initial rig. But changing sails it's a faff to take off a seat harness
    Writing nonsense on tinternet since 1842.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch K View Post
    Save yourself some money. You don't need a special tool, just the right knot.
    I use a scrap piece of PVC pipe, about 25cm long. It helps to take a file/rasp and rough up the middle area a bit, just so it's not super slick. Then watch the video link below at 1:22 into the video for a knot tip from Dave Ezzy. Very easy to do and quick to undo. After slipping the pipe through the double loops I wrap the line around the pipe a few times for an extra lock. I keep a few of these PVC pipes in the van in case I lose one. Minimal cost. Give it a try!
    Thanks Mitch, will try that.
    If it works then I can send my brand new eco downhaul tool to landfill.
    Writing nonsense on tinternet since 1842.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    A downaul wrench.

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Personally I use a piece of broom handle, cut to a length of about 5cm more than the width of my hands and with two holes drilled the middle, one in the centre and one to one side. The rope comes off the rig and into the central hole, back through the other one and then between the rope and the tool, so when it's pulled tight it locks it down. I've painted mine so it doesn't rot with the salt water it's exposed to. That tool does me for anything up to 6.5m, and then due to my bad back I use a downhaul winch for bigger sails. The winch is a faff though, so I wouldn't bother with it for sails smaller than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch K View Post
    Save yourself some money. You don't need a special tool, just the right knot.
    I use a scrap piece of PVC pipe, about 25cm long. It helps to take a file/rasp and rough up the middle area a bit, just so it's not super slick. Then watch the video link below at 1:22 into the video for a knot tip from Dave Ezzy. Very easy to do and quick to undo. After slipping the pipe through the double loops I wrap the line around the pipe a few times for an extra lock. I keep a few of these PVC pipes in the van in case I lose one. Minimal cost. Give it a try!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MriJP-EBTJ4
    Exactly what I do as well. Very fast knot. Use it on a old leftover boom extension. Even though I only sail Ezzy sails, I believe that it should work on other sails as well...