Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windsup advice

Windsup advice

As a beginner/novice I'm generally pottering around in light winds, trying to stay below 15 knots for now. I'm looking to invest in some kit for travelling next year, possibly making a road trip to Naxos/Greece. I've recently seen the Windsup's and they look convenient for packing up. Can anyone advise on a starting point for these? A point to note is that I'm 55 and new to this sport and have found that at the moment it kills my knees so am just quite happy pottering up and down for now, i.e. I'm not thinking of wave jumping or carve jibing anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardy View Post
    I've recently seen the Windsup's and they look convenient for packing up.
    As you say that, am I right to presume you are therefore looking at inflatable Windsups rather than the rigid variety?

If so, my experience (based on a Red 10' 6" Ride WindSUP) is that they're very well put together, good for 'fun' paddling and a great platform for beginner / light wind freestyle windsurfing. You can surf small waves with them, either as a SUP or a windSUP, but they'll never come close to a rigid windSUP for proper wave surfing. Planing windsurfing is unlikely. I believe RRD (and others?) now produce inflatable planing windsurfers, but I don't think they're designed for SUPping. In short, I'm very pleased with the Red WindSUP, but I did find myself looking on enviously as those at the beach with 'proper' rigid windSUPs were scoring good waves.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Windsups are great, but I only have experience with hard boards, a 9 starboard and a 7'8 JP Fusion.

The only advice vice I can offer, is to definitely get one with a centre board or bolt on keel or fin. They make sailing so much easier.
    I have one on the starboard and the kids love it, especially with the soft deck.
    Sailing the JP on just the fins is pretty technical.

The downside I've found with inflatables with centre slots such as the (specifically, but not restricted to) Red WindSup is that at speed water comes gushing out of the dagger slot hole if there's no fin in - for instance, if it's howling or you are surfing it. Mind you, you can get them planing, you just can't see a lot through the spray!

That said, they are wonderfully convenient and easy to use. For a (ahem) 'seasoned' sailor, I found it a bit bouncy but not sure boards without the slot would perform as well as a windsurf board?
    FOR SALE
    - F2 Discovery, a well worn but great for learning on L=225, W=90, V=225 : 85

- Starboard Cruiser WindSUP, with leash, 25cm MFC US fin, side-biters and paddle : 295
    :.. well-used with one repair but all sound

- Powerex Z-Wave 400 drop-shape mast (good condition with bag) : 85

- Select Lightning 26cm speed fin, tuttle fitting (great condition) : 25
    - F2 Chilli freestyle fin 23cm, powerbox (a bit worn) : 15

- soft-top surfboard, tri-fin, leash (7'10'' I think) : 100

Quote Originally Posted by gingawarrior View Post
    The downside I've found with inflatables with centre slots such as the (specifically, but not restricted to) Red WindSup is that at speed water comes gushing out of the dagger slot hole if there's no fin in -
    My Red Ride WindSUP doesn't have a dagger slot. It does have an attachment for a small centre fin, but that's on the underside of the board only. I've never had cause to use a centre fin. I'd presumed it was just there for beginners. The board goes up wind perfectly well with just the tail fins. I guess from what you say they must have produced some sort of model with a centre/daggerboard?
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Yeah, at my local they use windsups for teaching that have the slots - think they are last year's Red 10'8 or 10'6 - with a 'dagger-fin' that goes into the slot, sort of old-style type non-retractable dagger board (but smaller).

I have to say, they are great for teaching on - it's when idiots like me take them out in a gale that the limitations come to the fore, although I have wondered what they would be like on a wave because of this.
    FOR SALE
    - F2 Discovery, a well worn but great for learning on L=225, W=90, V=225 : 85

- Starboard Cruiser WindSUP, with leash, 25cm MFC US fin, side-biters and paddle : 295
    :.. well-used with one repair but all sound

- Powerex Z-Wave 400 drop-shape mast (good condition with bag) : 85

- Select Lightning 26cm speed fin, tuttle fitting (great condition) : 25
    - F2 Chilli freestyle fin 23cm, powerbox (a bit worn) : 15

- soft-top surfboard, tri-fin, leash (7'10'' I think) : 100

I had a blast on starboard one recently had small centre and rear fin and was a absolute blast, see video , ideal for what your after . Wind was light, I was the only one planing. Able to go upwind no problem. Super strong, stiff enough.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BZZCADtFHXX/
    https://youtu.be/vcGmaJ3GG5E

Hopefully the links works