Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Now back in the UK.

Just checked the rates on Easyjet for one bag at 32kg of windsurf kit, 42 for France, Portugal and the Canary Islands. I guess the question is would they consider a quiver bag lashed together with a board bag, one item? Or would it need to be wrapped up to conceal it as one bag. I'm guess that should be enough for a board, mast, boom, 2 or 3 sails with bagging.

Flew with Air Mauritius this summer. They’ll take a windsurfer if it’s under 300cm in all dimensions and weighs less than 23kg for 100 euros each way according to there website. Plus if something’s under 200cm in all dimensions it can go in your official luggage allowance if the weight is compliant. You need to phone them before hand and give them the exact weight and dimensions and the customer service people tell you you’ll be in a world of trouble if they don’t match at the airport. Getting a board in a bag in under the 300cm rule is tricky. Most wave boards are about 225 long, 60 wide and 10-15 thick.

I took a board with masts and a single sail in one bag as my windsurfer and a boom bag with two more sails and boom. I was definetly over the dimensions of both 300cm and 200cm and had expected to pay for two boards. I was told it be 370 euros on the phone and paid up. The receipt I got was for 160 euros. At the airport I was fairly nervous as I was a bit over 300 once double board bagged up and additional protection had been stuck around the nose and tail. At Gatwick no one at Air Mauritius cared, got a muttered stuff this long isint suposed to go through excess baggage at the trap door, but they were just whinging over windsurfing boards not me. Return journey was easy least as well. All intact with no holes.

Anyone flown to Barbados with kit in the last 12 months

I am flyjng to chile in november and i can take up to 23kg. I have never travelled before with my equipment and i am wondering how much kit fits in 23kg.

I will buy one of the lightest board bag of around 3.5kg. Then i will put all fins, mast extensions, bolts and even the boom extension in my hold luggage.

I was hoping to take one 80lt board 2 small sails 1 carbon boom 1 carbon mast, is this realistic?

Airlines are starting to put in a maximum "length" of the the bag. The ones I've seen (and experienced) are Emirates and Vueling (Iberia). It means that the length+width+height should be less then 300cm. I've already had three times people measuring the bags at check-in with a tape measure.... Once Emirates refused to take a bag because of this (we repacked and sat on it for a while to "shrink" the bag).
    49 years young @ 85kg.

WitchCraft Wave HDD 83l + K4 Stubby 14cm + K4 Ezzy 2 12cm
    WitchCraft Flextail HDD 95l + WC 15.5cm & 14cm side fins
    RRD COTAN 7'11" Wide Classic
    Witchcraft Slayer & Karma sails and masts from 3.3m to 5.2m - Tecnolimits XTR

Quote Originally Posted by pasq View Post
    I am flyjng to chile in november and i can take up to 23kg. I have never travelled before with my equipment and i am wondering how much kit fits in 23kg.

I will buy one of the lightest board bag of around 3.5kg. Then i will put all fins, mast extensions, bolts and even the boom extension in my hold luggage.

I was hoping to take one 80lt board 2 small sails 1 carbon boom 1 carbon mast, is this realistic?

Packing kit down to 23kgs is hard work.

Obviously, what you get in depends on the weight of your gear components.
    A lightweight carbon 4m mast can be as little as 1.3kgs but most are 1.6+
    The lightest carbon boom is 2kgs and most are a lot more.
    A high end sail can weigh as little as 2.8kgs for a 5m but most are 3.5kgs+ and they tend to gain a little weight if used as damp and with sand creeping into the seams. Leave the sail bags at home.
    My 80litre wave board is 6kgs with the straps and fins removed. That's unusually light nowadays.
    My board bag weighs 6kgs.

So with light gear: 6(board) + 6 (bag) + 2 (Boom) + 7 (2 sails) + 1.4 (Mast) = 22.4kgs.

Your best bet is to do a trial run with the packing, weighing each item as it goes in, and then see what the total actually comes to. Get some accurate digital hand held scales to get honest weights.

If the bag weight goes over the 23kgs then you need to arrive at the airport knowing what the airline policy is for overweight bags. You either won't get on, or you may have to pay an excess fee.

The solution may be to accept that you need to pay for a second kit bag, giving you a further 23kgs.
    Last edited by basher; 9th October 2017 at 11:27 AM.
    Now back in the UK.