Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What went wrong?

I just cannot jump. I know what I should be doing, so no need to repeat advice, but there is something I am not doing right. At Rhosneigr I was on 86/4.7 and going out close to shore so planing but not built up speed. I was presented with head high steep water and could not pass up or down wind, and no chance of a gentle up and over so thought let's go for the jump. I got reasonable height but board nose dived a bit and I landed on my back. I just wanted to go up and land on tall. From symptoms what did I do wrong?
    Boards: F2 Gorilla 76, Tabou Quadster 86, Fanatic Triwave 95, Starboard Kombatwave 96, F2 Stoke 115, JPFreeRace 125, Sails: Gaastra Poison 4.2, North Hero 4.2, North Ice 4.7, Simmer Icon 5.3, Gaastra Cross 6, Ezzy Elite 6.1, Tushingham Storm 6.5, Severne Turbo 7.5

Hard to tell from your description. I used to be a master of absorbing bumps on boards and bikes. That's the reverse of jumping. Unless your able to push against the bump you wont get enough air for a controlled landing. Next thing is to get compact in the air. Litterally pull yourself together. Putting the tail down first is then much about sheeting out bit but not too much too soon as you risk landing with straight legs. So don't just dump all power at once. And look a bit ahead, not just right over the crest. My way of answering is based on the assumtion that you're not really jumping much but more just stumbling over. Practice on tiny kickers in bump and jump conditions.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 7th October 2017 at 07:23 PM.
    The infamous wavewriter

It sounds like you’ve hit a bit big vertical ramp. You get a lot of height but have little forwards momentum, and generally landing on your back is what happens. They naturally encourage a back loop entry. Your natural position when jumping off those is to go up nose first rig parallel to the water, it then takes a lot of technique to bring the nose back down and to land tail first and sail away. To land that you need to be able to jump of chop or waves that are much less steep.

You have two options to learn. Start on small ramps/waves that aren’t that steep 2-3 ft where you’ve got a lot of speed, if your going quickly and don’t squash the jump you’ll take off. Once you’ve got air concentrate on trying to kick you’re arse with the heel of your back foot to get the tail up. You should land over the kit and be able to sail away. The second is to practice popping the board which gives you better technique overall, but relies on that to get you into the air. As you sail towards a 0.5ft bit of chop push into the water with your front foot then a fraction of a second later do the sameness with your back foot. Immediately after pushing pull up with your front foot and then your back, the unweighting of the board and corking of the board because you’ve pushed it into the water will cause it to jump.

its easier to learn to jump on single fins as you can kick against the fin to get more pop.

Yes, if you hit a vertical ramp it often pushes you back as you take off and so you leave the wave with no speed.

You then go quite high but with no forward momentum and so you fall backwards out of the sky. (Try a backloop off that sort of wave instead?)

The solution is to bear away before the wave to make sure you arrive with speed, perhaps aiming for a lower section. Then if you have forward momentum you can lift the back foot in the normal way and land well beyond the wave, touching down on the tail and still planing.

These technique possibilities do vary according the wind direction on the wave. In cross offshore, there is no wind behind the bigger waves.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker View Post
    I just cannot jump. I know what I should be doing, so no need to repeat advice, but there is something I am not doing right. At Rhosneigr I was on 86/4.7 and going out close to shore so planing but not built up speed. I was presented with head high steep water and could not pass up or down wind, and no chance of a gentle up and over so thought let's go for the jump. I got reasonable height but board nose dived a bit and I landed on my back. I just wanted to go up and land on tall. From symptoms what did I do wrong?
    Doing a decent jump straight off the first ramp when you've only just got into the straps is never going to be easy, so don't beat yourself up about it. As others have said, practise when you have good speed and off easier ramps.

I've never been a good jumper - by that I mean someone who loops well - but I can land OK on the tail from a reasonable hight most of the time* It's obviously a necessary basic skill for anybody who wndsurfs in waves. I remember how I cracked it ... It was in Cabarete some time in the mid 1990's. I had always been a bit scared whenever I got air, closing my eyes etc, and I confessed this to an instructor there. He said: OK, I'll teach you the technique. He sat me down in a chair on the beach, then he walked around behind me and without any warning he suddenly pulled the chair backwards, violently! When I'd recovered from the shock he asked me to tell him what my legs had done. I described exactly the movements that I'd naturally done to counterbalance the sudden movement and he told me to just repeat them in the air with the board next time I got a jump. I did what he said and never looked back! (of course, if you do, ie literally look back, you might do a forward loop - but that's another story!).

* this pic of me was taken very close to the beach, hitting the first shorebreak wave after having just got in the straps. As described, not easy to land from a position like this, but I think I landed this one on the tail rather than on my back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SuperMini Jump2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	15625
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker View Post
    in my experience the worst thing to do is not be proactive on the jump pump to get more speed if you have to before you hit the wave steer the board on the wave quickly if needed to get the right direction of launch

at Rhossy on the steep sections (down nearer the river mouth )you are probably going to land in a wind shadow so try and keep the board as flat to keep forward momentum you can pull the tail up to help achieve this if you land on the tail and have no forward momentum throw the rig and weight forward as soon as you bob back to the surface and sheet in to get the forward power back into the board

as you get more experienced you will be pleasantly surprised what precarious positions you can recover a jump from !

some old examples of me fighting the kit in the air below

a classic overpowered reasonably steep section take off so i will go as high as i can this will kill a lot of the rigs power and i can sail it down to land tail first still with some power to sail away reasonably powered up

Name:	leasowe 2.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	15626

this jump i'm really struggling to control the power and have to lay the rig over to windward to try and kill some of the power but if you notice i'm still sailing the board flat in the air so will still land and sail away as i will kich the nose downwind just before landing to get the kit lined up correctly

Name:	leasowe.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	15627

if you are around rhossy and need some pointers give me a shout i'm no expert but i can still do a bit !

Thanks for the tips and on this particular occassion the lack of forward speed sounds about right. earlier tips have helped me so thanks
    Boards: F2 Gorilla 76, Tabou Quadster 86, Fanatic Triwave 95, Starboard Kombatwave 96, F2 Stoke 115, JPFreeRace 125, Sails: Gaastra Poison 4.2, North Hero 4.2, North Ice 4.7, Simmer Icon 5.3, Gaastra Cross 6, Ezzy Elite 6.1, Tushingham Storm 6.5, Severne Turbo 7.5