Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    In fairness to the 'militant trade union extremists' , they are arguing that trains are safer with a guard on board in addition to the driver.
    Yes, in fairness, that is indeed what they are arguing. However the independent enquiry into the position found that argument to be bogus (see in particular section 3.2.3 or the report). And there's no need to put the word Militant in inverted commas either, as the RMT leader openly celebrates the union's militant stance.

Whatever your politics though, it's undeniable that the rail unions' actions and the wider issues with Southern Rail make life very difficult for those using the service. As you say though Basher, living on or close to the coast is an option if you can cope with the stress and disruption of the commute and have a job that will accommodate that.
    Last edited by TwoFish; 12th October 2017 at 09:00 AM.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

I actually think it's not about politics – or shouldn't be.
    Technology would allow for driverless trains but do the commuters want that?
    When asked, they say they want a guard on the train, whether that be as a back up to the driver or as security when there are louts on the train.

But we have seen trains change a lot over the years. For example, there used to be a restaurant car on the Brighton line, then there was just a kiosk section where you could get a bacon sandwich. Then there was a trolley pushed along the carriages, selling sandwiches wrapped in cardboard. Now there is often nothing because the trolley can't get through the packed carriage when the passengers have to stand due to lack of seats.

What do commuters want? 1) That the trains run on time and are safe. 2) A reliable timetable with daytime and night time trains. 3) Enough cars on the train, meaning there's somewhere to sit. 4) Affordable train fares. 5)Cleanliness and service.

Southern Rail don't deliver on any of these points. This is why commuting can be expensive and stressful.
    Last edited by basher; 12th October 2017 at 10:31 AM.
    Now back in the UK.

Pedroenespana has called it correctly, being in 'Town' (London) brings you into close contact with Gods chosen windsurfing county, Kent. We not only enjoy more sunshine hours, but have sideshore beaches for every wind direction within an hours drive from pretty much anywhere you happen to live along the other great feature of Kent, a high speed rail link that works more often than it doesn't, unlike the service provided to the uneducated simple minded peasants of Southern England.

Technically Camber is in East Sussex, just across the border, but from the beaches of Romney Marsh which also work in North Easterly winds and are often thermally assisted, you have water access all the way round the coast up onto the North Shore where although slightly retarded and inbred the locals have stopped eating their young and visitors and have been known to welcome newcomers to places like Minster, Minnis, Tankerton, Joss, Pegwell and a few other beaches that work in North Winds.

We have windsurfers at our club who commute, it's a 48 minute journey into connections with the DLR (dockland light railway) and Tube, I guess you're going to work in the City and if you get away by 3 you can get under the Blackwall Tunnel onto the M2/20 and it's then an hour to the furthest beach, so entirely doable. Better to live out of Town you get a better life quality in exchange for an early start and better beach access.

Welcome. I've never lived in London so cant comment on the windsurfing aspect, but I've been up to Assen to watch the TT and World Superbike racing many times. The road network in the NL is much better than the London and SE area. Apart from 1 stretch of road near Utrecht which always had slow traffic, getting around was always quick and easy.
    I live in Poole, Dorset, and travelling back home from the London area on a Sunday evening, the traffic going the other way into London seemed like 1 big queue.
    So I think driving times will be a lot longer than you are used to.
    On the positive side, when you order a pint of beer you will get a full pint and not a pint with 10cm of froth on the top

Mrko have a look at http://www.trafficengland.com/ to get an idea of what you're letting yourself in for (assuming you can access it from outside the UK). Switch on the Traffic Cameras under Map Layers to see what the motorways around London look like during the times you envisage popping to the coast after work.

I live in the grim north but travel to London and all over Europe regularly. London is a very difficult city to live in from a travel perspective. Many people who live in central London don't have cars as it is difficult to drive anywhere at more than walking pace and parking is a nightmare! Trains, underground and busses are faster but they are what they are! Living out of London is better and accepting you will have a horrible commute! There is then a balance of looking at the commute distance and travel times / costs and house prices. Some train lines like the Brighton line mentioned are a known nightmare - I don't know if west or east would be better.

Where would your office be?

Quote Originally Posted by Misty eyed basher in nostaligia mode View Post
    they want a guard on the train, whether that be as a back up to the driver or as security when there are louts on the train. . . . . there used to be a restaurant car on the Brighton line . . . kippers for breakfast . . . no hoi polloi in the carriages . . . the steward always knew just which Champagne to serve Sir Larry . . . all for two and sixpence return
    So the answer would be for Mrko to move here in 1935?

[Edit] As the gentleman front right appears to be Bob Monkhouse, I'm not sure said image is a truly accurate 1935 fantasy.
    Last edited by TwoFish; 12th October 2017 at 08:39 PM.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.