Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Hi there,
    I have lived in London for the past 20 years and have never found it 'easy' to windsurf. I dont know where you are planning on living / working, however i live in Clapham and it takes 20 mins to cycle to work - or 45 mins on the bus.
    For this convenience i pay an inordinate value for rent / mortgage - the further out you go the relative expense of accommodation goes down, but the commute goes up. The reason i mention this is because it then becomes more stops before you get sailing - ie leave work, get home, get to beach, then sail. Each having its own potential for delay.
    Running a car in London is much the same as anywhere in the country, maybe insurance could be a bit higher, but you might be faced with higher parking permits etc (generally i factor it costs about 30 in petrol for a round trip to the coast). Having a Van with kit in it is a bit more of a risk with crime - but also storage of kit is also quite difficult! I have a basement so can store it down there, but it is unlikely you will have a garage or much of a back garden to store anything.
    It depends what you do - but i find it very difficult to leave work before 6.. and the more they pay you the longer they will want you to work! or at least pretend to be working..!
    Thus i end up only being able to sail at weekends - which you are then at the whim of the weather patterns and stars to align to ensure that you have the time, have the wind, and often have the tide correct to get the best from south coast sailing.
    Saying that lots of people do manage it, and living in London is enjoyable for lots of reasons too, but i wouldnt say the 2 go hand in hand.
    BTW it takes a bit of getting used to where to sail when, however it is usually Hayling Island or Shoreham which are about 1hr 30, but in different directions.
    Currently on Simmer Blacktips, Simmer Frugal 77, Fanatic Stubby 88, JP xcite ride 120 and AHD Summerboard windsup.

Kippers for breakfast:

Name:  22310282_10156809116172619_7234236403391026836_n.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  91.4 KB
    Now back in the UK.

Where you work and choose to live will be critical. Cost, journey time to work and journey time to the beach are all critical factors that will make a BIG difference to the amount you can sail.

If you let us know roughly where you will be working maybe we can work out some possible locations!

Currently I live south of London near Epsom. Hove is about an hour for me. As has been said Hove and Camber are normally your only options for summer wavesailing within a reasonable drive so it pays to be in reach of one of them. Autumn-Spring there are plenty of other options.

I only live about 12 miles from central London, but the commute is a massive PITA (fortunately I don't work in central London!). Being able to work from home on windy days would make a massive difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
    Being able to work from home on windy days would make a massive difference!

Brilliant!!! - just the sound of the breaking waves in the background as you make that call into the office....
    Currently on Simmer Blacktips, Simmer Frugal 77, Fanatic Stubby 88, JP xcite ride 120 and AHD Summerboard windsup.

If you get the option to live really centrally in London then take it. That's most important.

As various people have said it's a mission to get clear of London but easier on a Saturday or Sunday morning than during the week and you sound fairly determined. 1.5 hours.

Kent and Sussex are not the windiest places in Britain or even England, but they are windy enough, often enough.

That map is not helpful because it covers the whole year – and it covers nighttime.

When it's pissing with rain and blowing in the dark in January most of us aren't windsurfing.

On that basis, it's arguable that the windiest place in the UK for windsurfing is in fact the southeast.

And if you live and work in London, you won't be spending many weekends windsurfing in Wales or Scotland.
    Last edited by basher; 12th October 2017 at 01:05 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Super Moderator
    I live in Greenwich in south east London which is 30ish minutes train/cycle commute into central London. I'm far enough out to be close to quick routes to the coast via M2 or M20 and so can reach Minster on the north Kent coast in 50 mins and Camber in 90 minutes (never less). I can reach Hove/Worthing in not much more, but I rarely do it as that involves the M25 which is risky and it’s nearly always winder at Camber. It's two hours to Hayling.

This is just about tolerable from a windsurfing point of view but it isn’t great. I hardly ever go to Camber two days running for example because it’s just too much driving. But better forecasting, webcams, this forum, WhatsApp etc means it is possible to take every chance and skunkings are less frequent.
    Last edited by MartinJ; 12th October 2017 at 08:02 PM.