Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Floation

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by boards_Tomas View Post
    That all makes sense Navegante. But when your're trying to escape one of the baddest waves of your life and having just avoided a collision, jumping in to check if everything is fine is easier said than done. The wave I was fleeing was followed by others, and I'm not speaking of lumps but serious waves. I know my own limits, and really shouldn't have been out in the first place. I'm still quite strong but short of breath and energy and not a great swimmer. The only reason I can make it in and out in such conditions, is my ability to avoid mistakes. I find that holding onto gear while being tumbled can be pretty risky. I would also probably be unable to waterstart after a number of good rinses. So I'm prepared to let go of my kit at some point and rely on good gear, including a warm hooded suit with a visible helmet on top, boots and a bright impact vest.

I'm a coward. But a an honest one.
    Yes, I understand your thinking.
    However you give the impression that really what you were worried about was loosing your gear or damaging it.
    In my mind gear is secondary to anything, its just money. Today you have it, tomorrow maybe not.
    But a life when gone, it's gone.

So, yes, I still think you had a flotation device (the board) that could have kept both with the head above the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    Yes, I understand your thinking.
    However you give the impression that really what you were worried about was loosing your gear or damaging it.
    In my mind gear is secondary to anything, its just money. Today you have it, tomorrow maybe not.
    But a life when gone, it's gone.

So, yes, I still think you had a flotation device (the board) that could have kept both with the head above the water.
    But you're wrong. When I passed him he was already being sucked up a big foaming wall of water about to break in a few seconds. I was travelling fast past him on the same wave. In my imagination it was mast high and long and with brothers just behind. Trying to communicate or even just turn my head was out of the question. I held on for dear life to stay ahead of the wave. I know the sort of beating I can take. That wave was out of my leage. So dropping in or turning around to offer my kit as floatation was not an option.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 13th October 2017 at 03:54 PM.
    The infamous wavewriter

But you're wrong. When I passed him he was already being sucked up a big foaming wall of water about to break in a few seconds. I was travelling fast past him on the same wave. In my imagination it was mast high and long and with brothers just behind. Trying to communicate or even just turn my head was out of the question. I held on for dear life to stay ahead off the wave. I know the sort of beating I can take. That wave was out of my leage. So dropping in or turning around to offer my kit as floatation was not an option.
    alright then.
    So staying ahead of the wave and riding all the way to the beach and alert someone was the next best thing.
    Is that what you did? Give the alert?

As you know I did not. That turned out to be a mistake.

But, and sorry for being argumentative here - I do feel bad about this, what exactly should I ask of whom on the beach? I would of course have said that I saw a guy being seperated from his kit pulling his helmet off. But that I didn't know whether he was waving for help
    Ok, Tomas.
    You put the scenario out there by writing the post.

The simple truth is that you f*ck up! (I say this without offense)
    You had a doubt in your mind as to weather you should have checked further.

You mentioned a car park, your car was there, you have a phone.
    Someone else may have had a phone,

Basically what you could have done is do a Mayday Relay,
    you aren't physically able to assist but you can relay the emergency to
    some other person/entity/rescue outfit that could have acted.

the problem, from your own description is that you didn't do anything.

So really not much more any of us here can say.

So really not much more any of us here can say.
    I had presumed that Tomas's point in posting this was more to make us think, rather than 'say'.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Sheffield sailing wherever there's wind and waves
    Tomas, I will reinforce that it was brave of you to post so others can learn from your experience. You have received good advice on what to do next time and that is the important thing. We all learn.

I am surprised by how often people do not look out that much for each other when sailing. I am lucky to sail with people I have known for a long time who look out for each other. I also look out for others if I see them floundering what seems like a bit too long in the water. I would rather call the coastguard and it turn out to be not needed that not call them. This has happened twice to me. Once I called the coastguard for a kiter who was rescued after being blown 3-4 miles down the coast. When he came back, rather than a thanks, he was angry that I had called the coastguard. The other time someone got completely becalmed in an outflowing current. Just as the lifeboat came close to him the wind picked up enough for him to just get back in. I would still always do the same again. Better safe.

We are very very lucky in the UK to have the RNLI who are amazing at what they do.
    Support British - Moo Custom, 5 Oceans and K4 fins

The simple truth is that you f*ck up! (I say this without offense)
    You had a doubt in your mind as to weather you should have checked further.
    I accept that.
    The infamous wavewriter