Does carbon percentage matter on a 370 mast?

All my bigger masts are 100% carbon. But I will only use the 370 three or four times a year, so I was thinking I can get a 60% mast instead. The cost difference is substantial, less than half the price. Will I really notice the reflex response / weigh / whatever else on that small a mast?

I definitely would not get a 100% in 370, not only from a value versus usage perspective but also strength. My 370 gets used in conditions where breakage is a higher risk and i assume that 100% carbon are less durable than 80% (at least with severne, the gorilla has a 2 yr unconditional warranty whilst 100% does not). I have also heard others say that swing weight is less of an issue with shorter masts for those doing loopy stuff. Not sure if i would go down to 60% though - the mast will last many years so amount it gets used per year is less of an issue than the amount it gets used over its long life.

The first thing to say is: Which brand mast?

This is about sail match first and then about durability, weight, and perhaps mast 'reflex'.

With some brands the low carbon mast is just a cheap option, for sailors on a budget. With other brands, it's the more durable option, meant for extreme wave conditions. Personally I steer away from 2kgs masts, but those in the 1.7kgs or less weights should be OK.

I can't speak for all brands on this so the first thing to do is to ask others using your sail brand if the smaller sizes work well on the same brand's more economical mast.

I use Severne, and the 100% carbon (RDM Red) in a 370 length is a silly, 1.15kgs whereas the Severne RDM blue (90%) is still a respectable 1.4kgs in the 370.

The next 370 choice would be the Gorilla 2 (carbon content unspecified) at 1.55kgs – and with a two year guarantee.

I can tell you that all three masts work well with Severne rigs – and my choice is the 90% version for small sails.

I use my bigger wave sails on a 100% carbon 4m mast, to get the most benefit of weight saving in those bigger rig sizes, and because I know I'm less likely to trash a 5.3 sail than a 4m. – That's because our local wave conditions are normally linked to wind strength.
    Last edited by basher; 14th October 2017 at 10:30 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Just a thought, some sails now use a 370 up to 4.7 in size. (There may be bigger). So in future you may use it even more if you replace sails.
    GA IQ 4.7 for example
    2017. Wave sessions 19 Bump Jump 14
    2018 Wave sessions 2. V good though

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Guess it's the newish range from Ezzy in 60%.

I say the 60 should be fine. I have the lesser carbon % , in 340 and 370 in HotSails Masts, Nuevo ones, they have been fine, for me. I gather Ezzy as strong at least. Go 60.

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

A 60% 370 will generally feel heavier and slower than a 100% and I also doubt it will necessarily be much stronger. I could be if construction is as top notch as the 100% but this may not always be the case. I got a Simmer rdm8 370 by misstake once a I reckon the difference was for sure relevant. And there is a noticeable difference between the 100% rdm10 and the 100% rdm 11 (higher carbon quality) too in 370.

For me, the 370 is the longest mast I normally use, so I'm quite tuned in on how my sails feel with the 100%. If you sails small sails seldom, you might not notice, in particular if you don't compare.
    Ola H.

Simmer Style Boards and Sails

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Last line of Olas post is significant.

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair