Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The future of Foiling

The future, like in Mountain Biking, will be an electric assisted Foil. Put a jet drive instead of the propeller, and easy sailing in 0 to 10 knots will be a reality! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21432890_2014195548902890_6245525520024414191_n.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	15674

This isn’t quite as daft as it first seems. An electric motor to boost you up onto the foil could be interesting to some as once up, with a lot more skill than i have, it seems you can stay up with very little wind. But getting up needs a bit of oomph. There is a horue clip of a foil board being towed by a push bike alongside a jetty in a marina, and once up he can keep up just by aggressively moving his weight around, even without a sail or any swell (v tiring i guess)

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    There's an eFoil which is pretty cool, very expensive at the moment but I would get one if I the autonomy was acceptable.
    Also the underwater shape is beautiful, you can have full appreciation of it at 0.32 sec.

Last edited by Navegante; 18th October 2017 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smidge View Post
    This isn’t quite as daft as it first seems. An electric motor to boost you up onto the foil could be interesting to some as once up, with a lot more skill than i have, it seems you can stay up with very little wind. But getting up needs a bit of oomph. There is a horue clip of a foil board being towed by a push bike alongside a jetty in a marina, and once up he can keep up just by aggressively moving his weight around, even without a sail or any swell (v tiring i guess)
    Exactly: an electric assist to take you up the foil. The sail will add the rest, but add a bit of apparent wind and who knows: you might really end up being up in ultra marginal breezes with small sails ... would be cool to try but it ought to come down a bit in price, $12,000 is a chunk even for something as nice as it is shown at 32"
    Last edited by duzzi; 19th October 2017 at 06:16 AM.

Baby thrown out with bath water?

This is a noisy beach toy nothing to do with windsurfing, not very eco friendly.
    If you stuck a motor on your foil to get you up on the foils you then have the extra drag of it when you try to change to sail power.

I suppose it's good to imagine these things and then make them, and then we see how far they go and what the applications are. But windsurfing? not really.

When I see motorised surfboards I already have to remind myself they are not used for surfing but are personal motor boats for those too lazy to paddle.
    We also have motorised skateboards now, but you wouldn't do an Olly on one.

Similarly, I'd file a motorised hydrofoil in the same group as jet skis. They will have their place of course. Preferably not on my beach, lol.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Baby thrown out with bath water?

This is a noisy beach toy nothing to do with windsurfing, not very eco friendly.
    If you stuck a motor on your foil to get you up on the foils you then have the extra drag of it when you try to change to sail power.

I suppose it's good to imagine these things and then make them, and then we see how far they go and what the applications are. But windsurfing? not really.

When I see motorised surfboards I already have to remind myself they are not used for surfing but are personal motor boats for those too lazy to paddle.
    We also have motorised skateboards now, but you wouldn't do an Olly on one.

Similarly, I'd file a motorised hydrofoil in the same group as jet skis. They will have their place of course. Preferably not on my beach, lol.
    Why noisy? it is electric. And of course this is all imagination, but stretch it and think of a version that does not lift you out of the water like the e-foil but only provides assist power to do so. It can then be smaller, have a larger range even with current batteries ... who knows it might work: it is fun to imagine

Surely for the surfboard the propeller needs to be under water all the time as the board needs power all the time, Whereas a windsurfer only needs power to get the hull out of the water then once that drag is removed the sail can take over, so the motor could be on the bottom of the board, Migth get newbies interested in the sport with quicker access to fun.
    I have never tried foiling and detachment from the water seems to remove part of the experience, but if I was learning i wouldrelish going say 20 knots early in the learning curve.
    Boards: F2 Gorilla 76, Tabou Quadster 86, Fanatic Triwave 95, Starboard Kombatwave 96, F2 Stoke 115, JPFreeRace 125, Sails: Gaastra Poison 4.2, North Hero 4.2, North Ice 4.7, Simmer Icon 5.3, Gaastra Cross 6, Ezzy Elite 6.1, Tushingham Storm 6.5, Severne Turbo 7.5