Bonaire, Which Centre?

Hi, thinking of booking a trip to Bonaire, and I will probably put the thing together myself rather than by a package...

There appear to be at least 2 centres at the main beach, Jibe City and the Windsurf Place.

Can anyone recommend (or not recommend!) either of those 2?

Thanks in advance for answers and opinions gratefully received...

I will be going to Bonaire at the end of April for 10 days, so me too would be interested on opinions on the centers. Apparently in January a new center will open, it will be managed by Bjorn Dunkerbek and Philippe Bru, and be based directly at the Sorobon resort.

12 years ago, before my "re-entry" into the windsurf world I visited Jibe City to get up on a board again. I hadn't surfed in almost 15 years and had totally disconnected from the sport.
    So I walked into their place asking for a board and sail and a Bonaire local answers me with a huge smile and presents himself as "Monkey". I'm jet-lagged and not quite awake yet and look at the guy thinking he's taking the piss out of me. So I stutter a bit and ask "Is your name really "Monkey"?. He laughs even harder and shows me my kit. An hour later he's helping me getting some sea urchin spines out of my feet with a needle, still all smiles and friendliness.
    Only a couple of years later I realized the his name was "Tonky" (Frans), then one of the upcoming PWA sailors in the freestyle circuit.

Just based on that experience I'd highly recommend Jibe City....
    49 years young @ 85kg.

WitchCraft Wave HDD 83l + K4 Stubby 14cm + K4 Ezzy 2 12cm
    WitchCraft Flextail HDD 95l + WC 15.5cm & 14cm side fins
    RRD COTAN 7'11" Wide Classic
    Witchcraft Slayer & Karma sails and masts from 3.3m to 5.2m - Tecnolimits XTR

We went in May and used Jibe City. Good equipment and friendly. It also opens an hour earlier than the other centre in the morning on weekdays, and on the lighter days the wind tends to be best in the morning before dying off. I've no idea about the other centre, but I think it's also meant to be decent.

We self built the holiday. I'd recommend a hire car so you can do other stuff too, as the windsurf areas are in the middle of nowhere, except the windsurf centres and some accommodation.

It's a great place and we really enjoyed it.

Here is some information on the new center they are setting up https://www.sorobonbeachresort.com/d...ck-pro-center/ As you can see,"guests of Sorobon Beach Resort can access their gear and the lagoon 24/7", which is great of course, the only caveat being the resort is on the expensive side. Hopefully it is worth it though, as you are right on the spot, and the place is gorgeous also for the non windurfing significant other... I will know all when I go in April '18.

Quote Originally Posted by bman18 View Post
    An hour later he's helping me getting some sea urchin spines out of my feet with a needle, still all smiles and friendliness.
    You got punctured at lac bay! Where? I haven't seen any, and no one wears shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drear View Post
    You got punctured at lac bay! Where? I haven't seen any, and no one wears shoes.
    Sorry Drear, was away on holidays. This was quite some time ago, so who knows what "climate change" has done. But it was at Lac Bay and I wasn't the only one getting unlucky. But I don't think many wore shoes either.
    49 years young @ 85kg.

WitchCraft Wave HDD 83l + K4 Stubby 14cm + K4 Ezzy 2 12cm
    WitchCraft Flextail HDD 95l + WC 15.5cm & 14cm side fins
    RRD COTAN 7'11" Wide Classic
    Witchcraft Slayer & Karma sails and masts from 3.3m to 5.2m - Tecnolimits XTR