Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Poor technique - Onshore "gopro" videos

I bought a Chinese gopro to improve my sailing. Really happy about the purchase! Only 50 euro with 2 batteries. Will someone help me with my technique? (100% onshore)

Here I think I was too slow in cutting back... anything else?

What else? Stance ok? Not sure about my boom height.
    Last edited by ultimoamore; 3rd November 2017 at 09:08 AM.

Here I guess too fast

Last edited by ultimoamore; 3rd November 2017 at 09:10 AM.

I don't remember if I actually got the wave in the cut back, but better attempts I think:

Too much back foot inside pressure (or not enough speed, don't know):

I feel the pain - I have exactly the same issues.

I find the trouble is keeping the sail powered up throughout the turn to keep enough speed for the top turn - almost exactly the opposite of a gybe where you want the sail to go dead.

Have you tried moving your backhand further back on the boom to keep the sail powered up through the bottom turn, then don't forget to move it forwards again when you top turn.

Have you got a link to the camera? footage looks pretty good
    JP FSW 98 - Simmer Quantum 85 - Mistral Twinzer 76 - Mishmash of sails

I'm no guru, but a couple of thoughts ... as you say, the wind is so onshore that it's very hard to do nice turns - needs good technique, and very aggressive tight carves.

Bottom Turn: perhaps try moving the back hand (A LOT) further down the boom before the bottom turn ... open the sail more / more aggressively ... carve a bit harder / tighter (bottom turn) - but perhaps not with quite so much weight on the back foot at the start of the turn - try leaning forward more at the start, then transfer weight more to the back foot from half way round to tighten the bottom turn and approach the wave more vertically.

Top Turn: the board hasn't come round far enough - ie not vertical enough - so you hit the wave too much sideways on ... then try keeping the rig more open and exaggerating / committing more to the body position: low centre of gravity, weight evenly distributed on the heels - give it more 'ooomph' - really try and 'snap' the board off the top.

In the third one (where you make the turns quite nicely) you are looking more where you want to go (back at the wave in the 2nd part of the bottom turn and then back at the beach in the top turn) ... I think this helps a lot - the body follows where the head is leading, so keep doing / exaggerating this.

DISCLAIMER: As I say, I'm no expert and some of this may be cr@p advice, so let's see what others suggest.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.