Northerly wind and freestyle

Hi all. Iím over in the UK for a few weeks from Australia. Itís windy this weekend, looks like a strong Northrerly. Are there any good flat spots around 2hrs drive from London? Not sure if Hayling Island near the servo works in that direction?

Yes, the wind does look like being from the north at the weekend although I'd say more NW than true North.

On Hayling Island, the place to go in NW wind is usually 'Esso beach' which is named after the Esso garage on the right as you drive down south on the island. There is s small car park there and a sort of lagoon which fills up over high water to make a flat water spot.

High water is mid to late afternoon this weekend so there won't be much water there until mid morning.

If the wind goes more northerly then people also launch off Northney Marina at the bridge end of the Island.

In NE wind you can try the Portsmouth sailing centre (for a small launch fee) and that's on the road to southsea, to the west of Hayling and you launch into Langstone harbour from there.

I guess Hayling seafront might be sailable in the morning for low water, but the wind will be well offshore.
    If the wind is more NW than N then you might also try west Witterings for the rising tide, and the incoming tide should help increase the effective wind.

The other thing to say about the weekend wind is that Sunday is windier than Saturday but it will feel very cold.
    I have some kit for sale, to make space. Nuevo 86 2014, £490, Nuevo 73 2013 £550, Severne Blade 2015 5.0 and 3.7. All VGC or little used. Don't use private message system as I don't get messages via here Ė contact via the weather thread!

Whitstable may work, as it's low tide around lunchtime.

Alternatively, if you've got wavekit and are prepared for a 3hr drive you could get some great wavesailing conditions on the East Coast.

Don’t forget the Solent.
    Hill Head and Lee on Solent both pretty accessible and fine on a NW wind although sometimes a bit choppy depending on tide.
    Strong Northerly can be ok and water is flatter.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may try the Esso station, it looks really bloody cold though on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I may try the Esso station, it looks really bloody cold though on Sunday.
    Ha!
    You ain’t seen nothing yet.
    When you’re wearing full neoprene and still feel like puking on the beach as your hands warm up and you can’t find your nuts after an hour in a hot bath, that’s cold.