Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stop window condensation when sleeping in van?

When I sleep in my van, loads of condensation forms on the windows and it's a right pain trying to sort that out in the morning when usually trying to head off in a hurry.

Has anyone found a decent solution to this? I guess a windsurfing forum or a dogging forum must be the best places to ask.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Solution 1: Better insulation – try lining or relining the van panels and roof with a plywood polystyrene sandwich.

Solution 2: Buy lots of paper kitchen towel.
    Now back in the UK.

At this time of year the windows of my van get condensation overnight and I dont sleep in it. Guess its down to the damp environment. Can you get those water absorbing crystals to extract moisture from the air? I think they come in a small bucket size.
    I wouldn't fancy cladding my van with polystyrene due to the fire risk (even if it is behind plywood).

This sort of thing http://www.diy.com/departments/unibo.../307283_BQ.prd

I'm not sure what basher's on about, no amount of insulation on the panels & roof will stop condensation forming on the glass.

You need to stop the warm, moist air in the van hitting the cold glass. You can either do that by stopping the glass from getting cold in the first place (external window insulation/double glazing), or a barrier between the air and glass (removable insulation panels you stick on at night), or by removing the build up of warm damp air (open vents, dehumidifier, stop breathing).

You can get external insulation blankets that fit over the outside of the windscreen & side windows for some vans. They're not cheap, but possibly the best starting point if you want something ready made. Then you can make your own panels for any rear windows using foil bubblewrap insulation and velcro, or invest in thermal curtains. Lots of options, ranging from not much money to loads of money.

we have one of those Karcher window Vac's and that will remove any amount of condensation very quickly it's cordless and re-chargeable

they are defo worth a look at

Cheers all, will try make a shield and look into the Karcher jobbie.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Easy, stay in an hotel.