Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Masthero anyone?

Does anyone have a Masthero mount?
    The (few) reviews on Amazon are not very good; but it's only 25 euro shipped now... Which is why I was thinking about it...

There’s a thread in here somewhere that talks about them a lot. From memory the consensus view was they weren’t very good compared to a fly mount, then the producer turned up and swore at everyone who didn’t like them.

They're serial spammers with zero business ethics. They could make the best mount in the world & offer to pay me to use it & I still wouldn't have anything to do with them.

Ok, seems that masthero is a no-go.

Any recommendations for a mast based mount? I like the idea of mounting the camera centered so I could get both tacks with the Masthero...

Flymount I’ve got only allows you to film one tack, think there is a Fhot fins mount that flicks from one side to the other when you tack/gybe. More expensive though.

TJ is right...the FHOT mast mount grips the luff tube of the sail but not the mast so it rotates from one tack to the other as you gybe or tack. Flymount is very well engineered and can be fitted to virtually any tube like structure. I have never tried it but the product owner insists it can be mounted such that it will rotate with the luff. Because the mounting point is offset in relation to the clamp it needs some extensions to bring the camera to the right position however. The Flymount method of fixing is a clamp which is also fairly narrow so I would be concerned that fitting it sufficiently tightly to grip the luff but not the mast would not be secure enough to prevent wobble.

I bodged my own using a 2" spring clamp. The clamp's jaws grip the luff tube so it rotates, same as the FHot. The inner edge of the clamp's arms sit snuggly against the front of the mast so it doesn't wobble. The clamps were 3 for two from Screwfix, so a tad cheaper than an FHot. Having said that, if FHot had a way of buying their mount on the website, I would've bought one.