Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The Photography and Windsurfing thread.

OK so before we start, once upon a time when I left school 50 year odd ago, as the son of an ex RAF trained turned general practise photographer, (news, weddings, commercial)my first job was...
    Five years training as a news photographer, then photo journalist and occasionally a tutor at the local Art college, then ten years or so of trying to scratch a living as one. Luckily for me Windsurfing came along and offered alternative employment so I've barely touched a camera from that day to this and don't really want to.

But I've been interested in other photographic talents and with the amazing technology available these days helping remove the tedious stuff like exposure and range finding. I was very impressed with Whitey's work over the last few years, there are three, no four really quite good guys at our club producing some amazing shots, some of which seldom make the light of day other than a 'look at this shot' shown on a mobile phone.

I know the CinC is a dab hand with a camera, and so is LuckyPhil he's taken some brilliant wild life stuff (not that it's my particular thing but you can't ignore the patience and skill in composure waiting to photograph that stuff)

Then there's the modern kit and tech bits, the lenses faster than ever even the zooms offering from super wide to tele yet some open up to f2.8 which was unheard of in my day.

I am well out of touch, but nonetheless keen to read about what y'all are using, happy to chip in with stuff I do know if need be and think it would be great if this thread were a central place to stick links to you stuff or upload individual shots you've taken recently for us to check out.

Lets face it we don't exactly have a magazine doing it for us online these days, so why not lets kick off with what kit you're using and any shots or links to shots.

Me I've still got a Nikon F4S film set up if anyone is into film and fancies making me an offer for it, I did hear it was making a come back not something ever likely to happen to my photographic career.

Treat myself to a Nikon D7200 a few months back. With a 70_300 lens for windsurfing.
    Actually not seriously used it for windsurfing yet!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unsave.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	15756

Too keen to get out sailing, and anyway in Cumbria most often Iím the only one out.

Most windsurfing use has just been to set it to auto and give it to an unenthusiastic family member to get some shots. That works well in good bright conditions. Outside of that in my short experience Iíve found the greatest challenge is getting photos in focus on a long lens in windy shaky conditions. Photos which look OK on the camera display then look soft later when you see them full screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post
    I know the CinC is a dab hand with a camera
    Yeah I like his Cape Town shots with the sun shining through the wave. I think you need something like that; windsurfer + a bit extra.
    Writing nonsense on tinternet since 1842.

Lot of the time stuff that looks 'soft' can be camera shake, these auto systems sometimes appear to give more aperture priority than deliver adequate shutter speed.

Most cameras have a 'sports mode' which will prioritise shutter speed (its the running man on the dial at the top, usually).

Good lenses will also have a degree of image stabilisation built in as well. I bought a cheap 70-300 tamron and it's hard to get crisp shots at full zoom unless balanced on something.

As a very rough rule of thumb, someone recommended that what ever zoom length you are using, you want it as your shutter speed.

I.e 70mm (zoomed out) no less than 1/70
    300mm (fully zoomed) no less than 1/300.
    JP FSW 98 - Simmer Quantum 85 - Mistral Twinzer 76 - Mishmash of sails

We used to use shoulder stocks and pistol grips for action stuff, saturday afternoons wasted next to the goal posts of the away team hoping for goal shots springs to mind, there was even a special telephoto with follow through zoom attached to one, cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, I found this on google so they are clearly still about.

Whitey has created some stunning work. Seeing what he produces so consistently is just amazing. He is certainly one of those people who seems to be stubborn enough to excel at everything he tries.

Fishing Tern by Phill Luckhurst, on Flickr

That's a cracker Phil so, come on lets hear about your ghey Canon gear ;-)