Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Thanks. I need Canon gear as I am too thick to use Nikon, far too many buttons...

i use a se a combo of 7D/7D2 bodies. For distant stuff a 100-400 II and for macro a Canon 60mm with twin flash. I also have some wide angle lenses. I take nature stuff as I hate being indoors. I would rather be windsurfing but for various reasons time and health have prevented me. More than a couple. Of days stuck inside and I begin getting snappy, any longer and I would go nuts.

I love seeing the work of others others but the sad lack of mags means the content is becoming more video based. I would love to see more windsurfers showing off their pics instead. Currently some will hide a few on face page. Maybe we need a Flickr group speople can share more shots on here. Matthew B used to share some wonderful shots here. I really miss those.

Of course, I forgot Matthew B, I think he went mental after he lost the Brexit vote just as those of us who thought we'd won something are now going mental with the dicks that are negotiating a disaster for us. He did/probably still has got some great wave shots. Maybe he'll swing by later with links..

We've had photography threads before but one of the problems with this forum is that you can't easily post photos on here.
    I've taken this one off Facebook just to get it on here (it's my photo, so no theft). The quality is reduced to post any photo here.

And Facebook is usually the place to look for home-grown windsurfing photos because the local photographers often link up with the local Facebook windsurfing groups.

I don't tend to take windsurfing photos in the UK because: a) when it's windy, I want to go windsurfing myself and b) the light is often not good when it's windsurfing weather if you want action shots.

The key to good action shots is good light, and good action from a good wave sailor, on a wavey day.
    You then need access, and that limits the places/beaches that work – or that allow you to get close enough for photography.
    To get close enough, the starting point is a long focal length lens and a 200mill lens might work on a crop sensor camera.
    I think this shot was taken at 400mm but on a full frame set up. JC often works within 600mm lens – and they cost more than a family car.
    I try to set the exposure speed at twice the focal length of the lens and an aperture of about F8 can give you enough depth of field whilst separating the main action from any background clutter.
    With modern cameras you can often set a relatively high ISO without your image getting 'noise' but sunny days in Cape Town mean we can use low ISO settings and I'm usually on 100 ISO or up to 400, but no more unless it's evening.
    The problem on most of the Cape Town beaches is that the sailor is backlit in the afternoons – when the wind usually blows. So this is not a great location for brochure/product shoots, but there are ways around that.

Name:  16487518_10208117915814374_2843813913109251597_o.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  90.6 KB
    Last edited by basher; 20th November 2017 at 05:44 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Name:  16992410_10208297841992416_3087891800764019915_o copy.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  94.4 KB
    Now back in the UK.

I also think the way to get better at windsurfing photography is to take other sorts of images – perhaps on the windless days. That way you get to know your camera and what it will do. You also get to 'see' stuff that you can react to quickly.

Here's a silly picture I took yesterday.

Name:  23668856_10210328404275204_8415988587549343038_o.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  88.7 KB
    Now back in the UK.

Some of us no longer use Facebook for various reasons. That is partly the reason I miss out on images. However, if you follow a lot of groups you soon get to the point where there is so much crap that you miss he great stuff.

This place used to be good but like you say, it is not easy to post a pic. That is why maybe a Flickr group might be fun. Easy to use and easy to add pcs he via that platform.

Noise wise I do not see that as a problem. Once you learn how to clean it up it is easy to reduce. However, content is king. A great shot noise does not matter. It can even add to the image in moody shots. I’ve seen loads of stunning images taken at ISOs up to 16,000.

I wasn't recommending Facebook but that is simply where most people have gone, including many photographers.
    It's partly the ease of the interface and what you can do in one place that keeps Facebook as big as it is.
    For budding photographers, you can have an instant audience for your work and the 'likes', educated or not, do give you some reaction to what you tried to do.

Like with most social media, it's really a place to waste time and get fat.
    I'd actually rather be out taking photos than showing them to someone else.
    Now back in the UK.