Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Getting in the back footstrap

Hi do you guys have any advice on how to get in the back foot strap without loosing so much speed?

I can do it on small wave board but on a slalom board I'm not that good.

How do you position your body when getting in the back strap?

I've tried so many things I think there is no easy way to do it... =/

Trick is that to move into the back strap you need no weight on the back foot. This means sailing with all your weight on the front foot, effectively sailing standing on one leg. To enable this to happen, the rig and bodyweight need to be angled forward slightly. So keep looking ahead, angle rig forward, keep the power on and weight on front foot, and unweighted, shuffle the back foot into the strap. You may find that its easier to angle the rig forward by sailing slightly downwind.

Try twisting your hips towards the nose, then a bit further. If hooked in and accelerating this will naturally weight the sail and lift the weight from your back foot leaving it free to wave about like a hanging cadaver. This should make it easy to slap your foot in the rear strap while still accelerating.

This is really the same as Tony has written, just a different way of saying it.
    Last edited by phill104; 28th November 2017 at 10:27 AM.

As above but also before you go for it, move your back foot in little movements toward the strap, keep going untill your foot is wedged against it. This will ensure that the movement to get it in is small and it doesnt change the weight loading to much. It also encourages you to not look down. Find the strap with foot. Then do what they say above and weight forward slightly as you quickly shift it in.

This problem arises on a slalom board for 3 reasons. Firstly, assuming the board is properly tuned the pressure on your feet will be roughly equal even in the short period before take off.................and take off is the second problem. Slalom boards accelerate very quickly once unstuck giving very little time to locate the back strap. The third problem is that the straps are normally very outboard. In order to have any peripheral vision of where the strap is and to put the foot in the strap , you really need your body position to be outboard.

Whilst all the posts above are tactics that can help I have to say I have tried them all with limited success in all circumstances. What I noted was that I had no problem starting off in moderate wind but the problem became far more pronounced if the wind was stronger. It is certainly true that the key to success is unweighting the back foot. What worked best for me was to keep the board off the wind or at worst a slightly broad beam reach ( but no higher upwind) and momentarily ease power with the back hand. As soon as you do that most of the pressure moves to the front foot and the back foot is free to move.

One the biggest differences I have noticed since changing from slalom boards to my Rocket Wides is that they sail with most of the pressure on the front foot. As a result it is easy to take the back foot out and back into the rear strap at will.

I've tried all that still with limited success. I'm thinking one of the 3 things:

-replace back straps to inboard position, have it custom made.
    -futura 97 has a single back strap or inboard rear straps.
    -would I be really that much slower on a freeride oriented FSW board such as Kode 103L? I'm using a wave sails anyway..

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitez View Post
    I've tried all that still with limited success. I'm thinking one of the 3 things:

-replace back straps to inboard position, have it custom made.
    -futura 97 has a single back strap or inboard rear straps.
    -would I be really that much slower on a freeride oriented FSW board such as Kode 103L? I'm using a wave sails anyway..

What do you think?
    IMHO, You are wasting your time with wave sails on a slalom board! It would difficult to even find the right trim & you are most likely sailing much too small of sails for the board. The boards really don't balance out properly without a good sized Freeride or Race sail. If you are sticking to the wave sails then yes get a fast freestyle wave.