Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Totally agree with Gorgesailor. A slalom board needs to be properly tuned and trimmed and a wave sail is not going to enable either.

All books and coaches say put front foot in first...but for what its worth I often put rear I first...find I can coax board onto plane with from foot and get back foot in firmly whilst doing so..might be worth a try...I nearly always use slightly inboard on rear when available but I have clumsy size 11s..and weigh over 100kg and rarely have problems with windward rail lifting, which is why we need outside position anyway.
    Check with your GPS to make sure you ate faster in very outside straps...its not always case...even tho it always feels so..( because you are commited and probably uncomfortable) Set your board up not searching for slalom/ fast foitstrap position but so it feels comfortable for you..Then use your GPS. I,ve had boards that were way faster for me with straps well inboard..Should be a personal thing and not a fashion or rule thing..Look how AA sets his board up, have a look at various footstrap setups used in Defi..Its not always as you,d expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgesailor View Post
    IMHO, You are wasting your time with wave sails on a slalom board! It would difficult to even find the right trim & you are most likely sailing much too small of sails for the board. The boards really don't balance out properly without a good sized Freeride or Race sail. If you are sticking to the wave sails then yes get a fast freestyle wave.
    In theory yes but in reality it works. Try it.

edit: I stitched from 5.5 vapor to 5.0 power wave sail and the only thing that was better with vapor was upwind and early plaining (should use smaller fin with wave sail I think)
    Last edited by Vitez; 15th December 2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: adding text

Quote Originally Posted by Alphie View Post
    All books and coaches say put front foot in first...but for what its worth I often put rear I first...find I can coax board onto plane with from foot and get back foot in firmly whilst doing so..might be worth a try...I nearly always use slightly inboard on rear when available but I have clumsy size 11s..and weigh over 100kg and rarely have problems with windward rail lifting, which is why we need outside position anyway.
    Check with your GPS to make sure you ate faster in very outside straps...its not always case...even tho it always feels so..( because you are commited and probably uncomfortable) Set your board up not searching for slalom/ fast foitstrap position but so it feels comfortable for you..Then use your GPS. I,ve had boards that were way faster for me with straps well inboard..Should be a personal thing and not a fashion or rule thing..Look how AA sets his board up, have a look at various footstrap setups used in Defi..Its not always as you,d expect.
    makes sense. Will go with custom inboard straps and check my speed. That would also make back foot first easier.

I think my style is front straps on the side and inboard rear straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitez View Post
    In theory yes but in reality it works. Try it.

edit: I stitched from 5.5 vapor to 5.0 power wave sail and the only thing that was better with vapor was upwind and early plaining (should use smaller fin with wave sail I think)
    My opinion comes from the experience of sailing 5.2 & 4.9 Wave sail on an Isonic 101. I was able to sail it, yes - planing & in the straps. But it never felt well balanced. The outboard straps & slalom stance favored more backhand & backfoot loading. In the same wind I should have been on a 6.0 freeride sail or a 7.0 Race sail(+/-).... a 5.5 Vapor is more the equivalent in power to 4.5 Power wave sail. The Vapor is meant to be sailed powered up & will only really give benefits in top end speed & upwind ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitez View Post
    makes sense. Will go with custom inboard straps and check my speed. That would also make back foot first easier.

I think my style is front straps on the side and inboard rear straps.
    Well go with that...I often leave rear well inboard and simply slide foot to outside of board if rail starts lifting, keeping toe just in strap if things become hectic...control in chop and gybing are both easier the nearer to centre line you are anyway, so you find other benefits.

On the speed sail/ wave sail issue...I,m not convinced its so detrimental using wave sails on Freerace/ Slalom...If you are well powered think its fine but generally the race sail/ freerace will cope with overpowered conditions better for any given size. For example I can use my 7 metre cambered X15 in winds that would overpower my 6 metre Storm...but Storm still works fine on my Rocket as does my Rock 5.7...Rocket isn't dedicated slalom but its not that far off..and in right conditions gives anything a run for its money...
    Just set board up to be comfortable...you,ll be faster. Dont over fin it...
    The slalom sails have a bigger range...especially the cambered ones. Years ago I managed 42 mph on a Pryde Search...at same event there was a pro sailor who,s name evades me broke 40 knots on same sail..( Was at Sotavento late 90,s) Any sail capable of those kind of speeds can fly upwind.
    Last edited by Alphie; 16th December 2017 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgesailor View Post
    My opinion comes from the experience of sailing 5.2 & 4.9 Wave sail on an Isonic 101. I was able to sail it, yes - planing & in the straps. But it never felt well balanced. The outboard straps & slalom stance favored more backhand & backfoot loading. In the same wind I should have been on a 6.0 freeride sail or a 7.0 Race sail(+/-).... a 5.5 Vapor is more the equivalent in power to 4.5 Power wave sail. The Vapor is meant to be sailed powered up & will only really give benefits in top end speed & upwind ability.
    I don't know how it feels like to have to little backfoot loading but I have 100L Manta and with 5.0 it was the winning combo for this year for me. Feels fun and very light compared to vapor.
    I feel I could use my 4.2 on it as long as the chop is not too high.

Again in theory yes 5.5 is for strong wind but if you don't add to much downhaul it works in little less than 20 knots. It has 2cm of downhaul to play with. With that huge range I was thinking it could be my all in 1 sail as I don't go to wave spots. But i decided not to because of cambers. 4.2 5.0 and 6.5 (as soon as I sell my 7.0 race) will be my quiver.