Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    no problem with upwind just saying vapor was better at it and much better at early planing..

yes rocket wide is tempting board with inboard rear straps but ill try with upgraded manta first.

as for fins 31cm carbon slalom was perfect for vapor 5.5 now with 5.0 wave its a bit too big I think so I'll go with 29. Don't know what fin to use if I were to use 4.2 on it.

Can you describe the gear you used when you hit 42mph?
    Last edited by Vitez; 16th December 2017 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphie View Post
    Well go with that...I often leave rear well inboard and simply slide foot to outside of board if rail starts lifting, keeping toe just in strap if things become hectic...control in chop and gybing are both easier the nearer to centre line you are anyway, so you find other benefits.

On the speed sail/ wave sail issue...I,m not convinced its so detrimental using wave sails on Freerace/ Slalom...If you are well powered think its fine but generally the race sail/ freerace will cope with overpowered conditions better for any given size. For example I can use my 7 metre cambered X15 in winds that would overpower my 6 metre Storm...but Storm still works fine on my Rocket as does my Rock 5.7...Rocket isn't dedicated slalom but its not that far off..and in right conditions gives anything a run for its money...
    Just set board up to be comfortable...you,ll be faster. Dont over fin it...
    The slalom sails have a bigger range...especially the cambered ones. Years ago I managed 42 mph on a Pryde Search...at same event there was a pro sailor who,s name evades me broke 40 knots on same sail..( Was at Sotavento late 90,s) Any sail capable of those kind of speeds can fly upwind.
    I think the mismatch is more pronounced with wider modern slalom boards. An older narrower board with a smaller fin will tend to balance out better as the stance is not that different from a FSW board. Modern Race sails have lower C.OE which helps pin the wider boards down.

Hi vitez. Some great words of advise above. But some times these little issues are over anylised and generate long long answers and solutions.

simply put, you are only trying to get your rear foot into the footstrap. keep it simple.

hook in, bear off, front foot in the straps. Bend your knees to keep the weight off your feet, then slip that foot in the rear strap. It should be that simple.

The (better) alternative is, Just like exiting a slalom gybe, try going for the footstraps before hooking back into the harness lines. This is the normal slalom way.

Tip: If rear foot is feeling heavy and difficult to slide into the straps, try a less powerful fin.

good luck.
    Last edited by mark62; 18th December 2017 at 09:49 PM.

I dont want to disagree with Mark above but i would point out that slalom boards are designed to be sailed with certain amout of constant drive from the sail / power / speed. As an intermeditae using much less power it may well be that you just wont be able to position your foot in the rear strap as the forces just wont balance out and you will just keep sinking the rail. If that is what happens - after trying the above - accpet that you are not yet ready.

Defo agree with bottomturnBob on this point. slalom boards are meant to be well powered to overpowered when sailed and I've based my comments on this.
    9m slalom when freeriders are on 7ms, 7m slalom when every one else is on 5m and saying its nuking!!!

i see loads of people sailing underpowered on isonics and the rest, when really they Might be better off on a freerace boards.

hm well mine is short and wide....hm.

one thing to make clear I've been wsurfing for about 10 years now and yes I can get the foot in the back strap it just takes too much time or gets me out of planing. it's the one thing that really bothers me.

so yes based on that I do wsurf in both straps I can't quite say I don't feel balanced.

as for the sinking the tail this problem i have on all boards. the board doesn't make the whispering sound so I am aware my basic stance is not perfect.

one of the spots I go to has only 500m of length so getting in the straps quick is key. The other spot has better distance.

Assuming you want to keep the slalom board.....and assuming you want to crack your problem, I think the first thing you may need is a more positive attitude. I' not being rude, just trying to get you to see that your problem is merely a matter of kit set up and technique and is therefore resolveable...but you have to be willing to take some advice and work with it. Moving footstraps from their designed position, or even changing board are both solutions but you would be ad mitting defeat..........and thousands of slalom board sailors have no such problem!
    Several posts have pointed out that the ONLY thing that prevents you finding the back strap is an inability to unweigh the back foot. The fact that you say you tend to sink the tail on all boards points to the fact that your starting off technique is wrong...probably not helped by incorrect tuning of your kit.
    So what puts weight on the back foot?
    1.Sailing upwind
    2.Having the boom too high
    3. Using too big a fin
    4. possibly mast track too far back.
    5. Not enough downhaul on the sail
    Starting off you should be off the wind.....you should be pushing on a straight front leg...the back leg between the front and rear straps, across the centre line keeping the board level rail to rail. Hanging from the boom with the sail still not fully sheeted in you should be able to sink onto the back foot which releases the front foot to go in the strap. If at this stage you sink the tail, your back foot is too far back. The second stage is the same as the first except now you are further back on the board with the front foot in the strap. Again you push forward on a straight front leg.........as you sink more down on the boom and hang out ( with or without being hooked in) the back foot should be unweighted...and the back strap should be in front of you.

If your boom is too high it is more difficult to hang low enough to achieve the above. If the fin is too big....or has a thick profile.....it will start to provide lift far too early. On a slalom board ( or wide freeride) the wide mid section of the hull is used to get planning...not the fin. If you do not go deep enough off the wind, again a thick profile fin will try to straighten the board onto a beam reach.
    So lower the boom...use a thin profile slalom fin...... go broad.....and boss the board...get proactive....don't be a passenger!
    Last edited by mikerb; 19th December 2017 at 09:17 PM.