Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Board on roof rack in high winds

*EXTREMELY BORING QUESTION ALERT*
    Has anyone got a genius way of putting their board on their roof rack in high winds without it being a total nightmare? I feel like I'm missing a trick. When I'm on my own it's just a massive pain in the ass and takes me ages. Is it straps on and done up first? Who knows...

Long Straps

I only put my SUP board on the roof these days, in its bag, but here’s how I do it:
    I use very long straps (from 24/7) Assume car is parked across the wind, put straps under rack on downwind side and walk them round front and rear to the upwind side, leave them so you can easily reach them. Load board from upwind side and hold bag with one hand. With the other hand grab the closest strap and flick it over the board. Then, keeping pressure down to stop it flying off, slide the strap and secure under the rack and tighten.
    One strap should hold it fine while you fix the other, again flick it up over the board and secure.
    This method does have a wind limit. If it’s very windy, maybe you can move the car to a better place before loading.
    Having Long straps is the key!

I used to keep a bungy just to hold the board in place while I got the straps on, or don't try to put the straps on double immediately just get one strap on from one side to the other, then double up,

Still doesn't stop the entire rack and two Mistral Superlights leaving the roof in vertical take off at 70 mile an hour on the A1, for that you have to run the straps under the roof.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    I pile up two or three boards.

For one or two boards
    Long webbing straps are left attached to the rack loose enough to let the bottom board slide out of the bag.
    Then tighten so that the top board is left secured.

to put board back in loosen straps, the bag left in place will help guide the board back into its place.

Another way for extra safety is to pass the strap through door opening under the roof, loosen strap enough to thread the board nose through.

Mercedes did a load of work on fuel efficiency in the '80s based on how boards/ canoes etc were carried. In all cases it worked out that carrying kit on its side with a vertical support bar was best. You can see most canoeists do that now. The side benefit is that it's easy to load in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by richarli View Post
    Mercedes did a load of work on fuel efficiency in the '80s based on how boards/ canoes etc were carried. In all cases it worked out that carrying kit on its side with a vertical support bar was best. You can see most canoeists do that now. The side benefit is that it's easy to load in the wind.
    Interesting point. Has anyone used vertical bars for a windsurf board? I would like to find a way to occasionally fit my daughters Techno 293 on top at the same time as the roof box. I think I would have the weight capacity. Something like this: https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rb...~cC4urewi%7DUp

I recently bought a set of locking rack straps during a fit of paranoia about my new board on the roof in Cornwall. As a side benefit they are heavier and much easier to use in a strong wind. This summer in Tiree I had to put 2 boards on my roof in 49mph winds with no problem.

https://www.24-7boardsports.com/kanu...f-rack-straps/

A bit pricey but worth it.