Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I use http://lockrack.co.uk/ for years now, open the front ones a bit wider then the board and you can put the board on your car in
    any wind force.

Parking head to wind is the answer.

I set up my straps without any boards on, then hold front of board while attaching front strap.
    loop back strap on and if putting second board on, secure using back strap, then loop over and tighten front strap.

Trying to do side on in high winds is just a flying excocet waiting to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post
    I used to keep a bungy just to hold the board in place while I got the straps on,
    Yes I have similar.
    But not ideal.
    And I have dents on my car just trying the lift the board up there. (is it just me or are car skins wafer thin these days?)
    And when it’s really windy even the bungee doesn’t work, then you have to throw stuff in the car as best you can and drive to somewhere more sheltered.
    Writing nonsense on tinternet since 1842.

Use a roof rack strap around the board with plenty of spare strap once tightened around the board. Obviously do this first before lifting onto the rack. Lift the board onto the rack and use the tail of the strap that is around the board to tie down to one of the rack bars. The board should then be reasonably secure whilst you sort the roof rack straps.......oh and park to leeward of a van!

Option 1)
    Open car, take out largest child and put them on the roof, telling them to hold on to rack. Then take out second child and put on roof telling him or her to hold hands with sibling. Take out child seat and leave on pavement or throw in ditch. Fold back front seat. Fit board(s) inside car. Drive off.

Option 2) Buy van.

If above options are not available, Option3)
    Park car facing wind. Feed one roof rack strap over front rack bar with half strap below and half above so that mid point faces into wind, half way across rack. Pick up board with both hands and place on rack, nose forward and facing down. Hold down with one hand. With other hand, reach for strap and use to tie down board to front bar of rack. Then fit second strap, securing rear of board to rear roof bar...

Option 4) As option 1 but using children as weights on board on roof.
    Last edited by basher; 30th November 2017 at 10:43 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

I put my board in its bag on the roof rack, tie it with a strap through the bag handle to the side bar of the roof rack. It is completely safe then and I can then sort out the straps in the normal way.

It was very windy at Allonby beach today.
    The board cracked my head when untying it, and bounced on the car park after the session when I was trying to tie it back. (Thankfully undamaged).

But it got me thinking I need a permanent option here. Messing about with bungies and all the options above don’t really work.
    So here is what I came up with.
    I’ve got one of these in the garage, and will try and use it to clamp the upwind seam of the board bag to the roof bar while I sort out tying it down.

I guess you could use it directly on the board without a bag, but you’d probably be better with a version with higher jaws.
    The one I have is a bit of a tight fit between the car roof & roof bar; I’d suggest that could be the main problem for anyone else trying this.
    I think this might be better
    (to clamp board bag to roof bar) so will buy one & try it to see if it works better.
    Writing nonsense on tinternet since 1842.