Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchcraft View Post
    My neighbour Jürgen Hönscheid (North Shore surfboards) has been making his sandwich surfboards like this for many years but he uses Rohacell as it is completely white and it ends up looking like a conventional board, including painting a fake stringer and an airbrush under the clear laminate. He says surfers are not really into change so it is hard selling painted sandwich boards to them. Because the Rohacell is not thermoformable, he uses Rohacell stringer rails.

Thanks, Bouke. You very kindly told me this in 2008? When I asked if it was a good solution. I think you gently said something along the lines of 'it takes craftsmanship to bend the sandwich around the rails successfully and I should keep at it' ... I was too lazy ;-)

Rohacell is mega $$$ in the UK, several times the price of Corecell (my preferred sandwich) or PVC. And if I remember rightly you suggested it was a bit brittle. I guess if it is white and that is what surfers want you have limited choice though. Its either Rohacell or PET. But PET is almost un-sandable.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    My neighbour Jürgen Hönscheid (North Shore surfboards) has been making his sandwich surfboards like this for many years but he uses Rohacell as it is completely white and it ends up looking like a conventional board, including painting a fake stringer and an airbrush under the clear laminate. He says surfers are not really into change so it is hard selling painted sandwich boards to them. Because the Rohacell is not thermoformable, he uses Rohacell stringer rails.
    I have a very inspiring windsurfing book stashed away by early legend Jürgen Hönscheid! What a joy to learn he is still around!

When I built my first sandwich board around 1989 or 90 an article in german SURF about Jurgen and his building methods was my inspiration.
    Ola H.

– Simmer Style Boards and Sails –