Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 22 to 28 of 87
  1. #22
    Senior Member Silicon Beach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    El Médano, Tenerife
    Posts
    3,828
    So that makes it sound like it would be a more 'radical' design than the Quatro Supermini thruster? If the Cortex was as easy to sail and as good for general sailing as the SM but even better for waveriding than it would certainly be a winner!
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

  2. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    So that makes it sound like it would be a more 'radical' design than the Quatro Supermini thruster? If the Cortex was as easy to sail and as good for general sailing as the SM but even better for waveriding than it would certainly be a winner!

    I did not try the Supermini. From the looks it's a bit different with a rounder outline but I would guess an even flatter rocker. The SM seems like a highly liked board. I reckon it will be a matter of personal preference if you prefer that sort of shape or the Cortex.
    Ola H.

    – Simmer Style Boards and Sails –

  3. #24
    Senior Member Silicon Beach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    El Médano, Tenerife
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola H. View Post
    I did not try the Supermini. From the looks it's a bit different with a rounder outline but I would guess an even flatter rocker. The SM seems like a highly liked board. I reckon it will be a matter of personal preference if you prefer that sort of shape or the Cortex.
    If the Cortex is how I imagined it - a more 'radical' version of the SM: ('If the Cortex was as easy to sail and as good for general sailing as the SM but even better for waveriding') then I probably would have gone for it if it had been available when I bought my two SM's ... but I'm in love with all my equipment now, as never before :-)
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

  4. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    If the Cortex is how I imagined it - a more 'radical' version of the SM: ('If the Cortex was as easy to sail and as good for general sailing as the SM but even better for waveriding') then I probably would have gone for it if it had been available when I bought my two SM's ... but I'm in love with all my equipment now, as never before :-)

    You will probably get a chance to try one sooner or later and it will then be interesting to hear your thoughts.
    Ola H.

    – Simmer Style Boards and Sails –

  5. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    So California
    Posts
    47
    @Ola - Thanks for sharing advanced info on the Cortex. Sounds like a fun wave board. I'd be interested in adding one to my board quiver. When I saw the shape and specs on the 2018 board bags, shown below, the cat was out of the bag on your new design.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simmer Board Bags 2018.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	15848

    Surprised no one asked yet and not that it matters too much, but what's the inside story about the name Cortex?
    Boards - Simmer Quantum V3 85L, 95L, 105L
    Sails - Simmer Blacktip 3.7, 4.2, 4.7, 5.0 X, 5.3, 5.6
    Masts - Simmer RDM10
    Booms - Chinook Pro 1 Carbon

  6. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch K View Post
    @Ola - Thanks for sharing advanced info on the Cortex. Sounds like a fun wave board. I'd be interested in adding one to my board quiver. When I saw the shape and specs on the 2018 board bags, shown below, the cat was out of the bag on your new design.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simmer Board Bags 2018.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	15848

    Surprised no one asked yet and not that it matters too much, but what's the inside story about the name Cortex?
    Haha. Even I did not see that boardbag. The name. I think it was one of my sometime crazy name ideas. I wanted something about related to the mind, like aboard with a higher mental function because of how this boards reacts and adapts. And the Cortex is the outer part of the brain that handles stuff like cognition, attention, perception etc. And then we thought it sounded kind of cool. In my non-windsurfing life I'm involved in some brain research so it also fit's in that way.
    Ola H.

    – Simmer Style Boards and Sails –

  7. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    So California
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola H. View Post
    Haha. Even I did not see that boardbag. The name. I think it was one of my sometime crazy name ideas. I wanted something about related to the mind, like aboard with a higher mental function because of how this boards reacts and adapts. And the Cortex is the outer part of the brain that handles stuff like cognition, attention, perception etc. And then we thought it sounded kind of cool. In my non-windsurfing life I'm involved in some brain research so it also fit's in that way.
    That's an interesting backstory. Thanks for sharing. I can see how a board like the Cortex can be more intuitive to what a rider wants to do on a wave offering a more surfboard like ride. It will be interesting to hear feedback from non-pro level riders and to learn what type of wave conditions the Cortex excels in compared to more traditional shaped boards.
    Boards - Simmer Quantum V3 85L, 95L, 105L
    Sails - Simmer Blacktip 3.7, 4.2, 4.7, 5.0 X, 5.3, 5.6
    Masts - Simmer RDM10
    Booms - Chinook Pro 1 Carbon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •