Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    No. You might think you had to do that, but it would take away from the advantages. With the more parallel rails you want to be able to engage more of the board. More nose rocker would make the nose engage less again, and with more curve in the nose, once it did engage it would make the board twitchy. So it's a balance. My shorter boards, including the Cortex has a slightly "shorter center" so in some sense this increased nose lift in comparison to just cutting the nose off on a longer board with the same rocker flow.

If you view the Cortex inside a Quantum, you will also see that despite the more parallel outline and widish looking nose, it actually does not have a wider nose at the point where the Quantum goes on and the Cortex ends. This in practice makes the Cortex fit better on a steeper face without poking. A board like the Frugal though, is a whole other thing since it is both short in the front and curvy. Such a board can, when on rail, fit in extremely tight spaces.

Ola H.

– Simmer Style Boards and Sails –

Quote Originally Posted by Ola H. View Post
    No. You might think you had to do that, but it would take away from the advantages. With the more parallel rails you want to be able to engage more of the board. More nose rocker would make the nose engage less again, and with more curve in the nose, once it did engage it would make the board twitchy. So it's a balance. My shorter boards, including the Cortex has a slightly "shorter center" so in some sense this increased nose lift in comparison to just cutting the nose off on a longer board with the same rocker flow.

If you view the Cortex inside a Quantum, you will also see that despite the more parallel outline and widish looking nose, it actually does not have a wider nose at the point where the Quantum goes on and the Cortex ends. This in practice makes the Cortex fit better on a steeper face without poking. A board like the Frugal though, is a whole other thing since it is both short in the front and curvy. Such a board can, when on rail, fit in extremely tight spaces.
    Makes sense, I guess I was thinking that it could be too flat for the increase in rail engagement & "stick" in the turn... but I suppose there is also the short tail when combined with a wider stance would allow you to force the board into a tighter arc...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgesailor View Post
    Makes sense, I guess I was thinking that it could be too flat for the increase in rail engagement & "stick" in the turn... but I suppose there is also the short tail when combined with a wider stance would allow you to force the board into a tighter arc...

In fact, the Quantum has more of that. It's rather a apart of that design which has to do with the intention to have a very stable and easy feel that you can rely on when dropping in also when your technique is not super good. But for me personally (I only sail short and super reactive boards normally) the Quantum is too good-tempered, a kind of damped feel one the front rail is engaged which actually make many people like it in bigger waves too.

The Cortex does not have any of that. It's still smooth, but far more reactive and adaptive.

Indeed the tail matters a lot. In fact, on of my worst crashed I had was on our original FW78 with basically the same rocker. I turned on a very steep logo/mast high wave on Maui and just couldn't push the board all the way around in the top turn because of the straighter rocker. So I pinched and got the whole wave over me and actually hit the bottom pretty hard, despite this being far out. I still have some scars. But, it is in fact amazing what happens when you remove some tail length when it comes to how easy/hard it is to get the board to follow through in the turn.
    Ola H.

– Simmer Style Boards and Sails –

In fact, the Quantum has more of that. It's rather a apart of that design which has to do with the intention to have a very stable and easy feel that you can rely on when dropping in also when your technique is not super good. But for me personally (I only sail short and super reactive boards normally) the Quantum is too good-tempered, a kind of damped feel one the front rail is engaged which actually make many people like it in bigger waves too.

The Cortex does not have any of that. It's still smooth, but far more reactive and adaptive.

Indeed the tail matters a lot. In fact, on of my worst crashed I had was on our original FW78 with basically the same rocker. I turned on a very steep logo/mast high wave on Maui and just couldn't push the board all the way around in the top turn because of the straighter rocker. So I pinched and got the whole wave over me and actually hit the bottom pretty hard, despite this being far out. I still have some scars. But, it is in fact amazing what happens when you remove some tail length when it comes to how easy/hard it is to get the board to follow through in the turn.
    Thanks Ola, Love to get a ride on one, but doubt I will see one - let alone get a demo here in the states... More likely use the theoretical ideas above to find a nice donor board & hack it - CPO style!
    Last edited by Gorgesailor; 18th January 2018 at 11:20 PM.

But, it is in fact amazing what happens when you remove some tail length when it comes to how easy/hard it is to get the board to follow through in the turn.
    Yes, I'm finding that with my Superminis. Having real fun with the turns on them now ... but also they sail like FreeWave boards when there are no waves :-)
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    Yes, I'm finding that with my Superminis. Having real fun with the turns on them now ... but also they sail like FreeWave boards when there are no waves :-)
    Yes, I had the use of a Supermini 78 for a season & it was very easy yet lively to sail - great board, I imagine the Cortex will be similar - if not a bit more radical...

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Gorgesailor, any experience with boards from Simmer ?

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair