Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I'd recommend a Futura; fast, but much more user friendly. I'd steer well clear of AtomIQs unless you get to try it out properly first. Some people get on fine with them, but most (including me) find them horribly slow & hard to get planing in the 120-130 size. Older Carves are fantastic, but I found the more recent ones (2015/16) to be pretty draggy like the Atom.

I agree with the posts a bove the Isonic 122 is not an ideal learning platform but if it is all you have...and/or can afford then you will have to learn to master it. You do not mention what fin you are using apart from size. As I previously said your 40 is a bout the right size for your 6.7 sail but you can also "tame" the board a little by using a more freeride type fin design. So if your fin is an upright one, see if you can find something of similar size but with a swept tip. In terms of sail sizes the 2008/9 Isonic 122 can be sailed with down to c 6.3m ( I had a 122 and often used it with 6.3 with no problems).
    The footstraps have 3 plug options so use the front ones for all of them and open the straps up so that most of your foot is in the strap ( not so much they get stuck!). Focus on just getting into that front strap to start with. With your 6.7, best mast foot position is about the centre or just back slightly from that. Make sure your boom height is not too high or your lines too short.
    If you get into the straps...this is the rocket you are using!!

Funny
    I saw your video just the other day !
    Yes I have the straps as forward and inward as the 3 options allow
    and my 40 fin is a T lab with a slight curve on it so that is good, the 44 is a classic slalom fin

I like the video of the guy in Vassiliki too - you make it look so easy. Some practice ahead methinks.

Even though you may be still learning the board you are using is very sensitive to tuning and its behaviour can be significantly changed with a few tweaks. The fin makes a huge difference and I'm afraid your T Labs fin is not going to do you many favours so see if you can try some alternatives.
    Make sure your sail is well downhauled....you have plenty of width and float to get going so do not need a lot of low end power in the sail. On a board like yours the non planning period means a lot of drag due to the relatively flat hull and width so the sail will feel really powerful if not well downhauled. It will all go light once the board pops onto the plane but you must then stay sheeted in so that the board stays settled. If the nose seems too lively, move the mast track forward slightly...that will also have the effect of lowering boom but you can also lower it a little more if need be. The changes are small...1cm at a time.

Problems getting into straps. Get someone to check your boom height, mast foot position, and length of your lines

I'd recommend a Futura; fast, but much more user friendly. I'd steer well clear of AtomIQs unless you get to try it out properly first. Some people get on fine with them, but most (including me) find them horribly slow & hard to get planing in the 120-130 size. Older Carves are fantastic, but I found the more recent ones (2015/16) to be pretty draggy like the Atom.
    Got the same impression about the 2017 IQ. Was renting in Bonaire Jan 2017 and using the AtomIQ 114 which worked pretty well. (I am 80kg). Switched for some reason to the 124 and my first thought was that I had caught some weed on my fin. My fin was clean but it felt like I was pulling something behind me. Back to the 114 and everything ran smooth again. Strange experience and nice to discover that I not was the only one having it.

I do have a Kode 113 (2010 I think ) and I love it. Fast and turny , puts the big grin on my face. I guess all brands have their ups and downs.

Again thanks for the input
    I am pretty good at setting up my sails now, boom height and mast foot position too,
    I have been watching some of Peter Hart's stuff and he nailed the mistakes I have been making, so I took some notes and will try to apply them when out on the water.

When cheap fins come up I pick them up. I first learned to plane with a 5.3 sail and a 50cms fin - so things should be gradaully getting better

If I ever get the chance a JP excite ride 120 might be fun, but I'll keep at it with the isonic, I feel very comfortable with this board and am learning it's behaviour more and more.